Bean Trellis

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm trying this frame for my Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry pole beans, if it works good I'll make more for next year. The poles in the same row are the way I normally plant my pole beans.

The frame is made of 1 x 4 cedar with wire staples to run the twine through. The size of the frame is 8 feet long and 5 feet high screwed to metal "U" shaped fence posts.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I love it! Is it anchored in the gorund anywhere, or just to the bottom rail of the post?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Just the two fence posts on either end, these are driven about one foot into the ground and the frame is screwed to them.

I thought this would be easy to take down, just remove 3 screws in either end, pull the posts and store it for next year.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I was referring to the anchoring of the twine. That is always my hold up. Looks like you tied it off on the bottome board. Yes, it looks very easy to store, come and build me some LOL. POst more pics when you have beans coming up em!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Tamara,

I used electrical staples, the kind they use when wiring a house. I just drove them into the edge of the cedar boards every six inches, top and bottom. Then I used bailed hay twine for the stringing. I'm looking for a different twine however, because the baling twine seems to streach/loosen after it's been strung for a while.

This message was edited May 26, 2005 12:49 AM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I bought a 2500 foot roll of twine at the hardware store last year, and it stayed pretty good (I didn't have it as well-anchored as you). It was the kind that decomposes well, don't recall the name... Do electricl staples fit in a staple gun, or did you hammer them in?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Nope, you gotta hammer them in, you can find them in the electrical department of Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They're about 1/2 inch wide and 3/4 inches long, a heavy wire staple.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thank you :-)

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red, I really like your setup and I love to grow pole beans. What's the spacing between the twine runs?

What happens when the beans have grown the 5 feet? I used 5' poles this past winter and it seems the beans would've easily grown 10' if the poles had been that big. There was a lot of excess vine just kinda hangin' around until it found the middle of another pole and then it started going up again, wrapping around the original vine. I guess that's ok?

Flip

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Looks great.

Will beans grow up 6" netting, too?

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

aeies44;

Every six inches, I thought I'd try 4" but decided on 6 instead, we'll see how I make out. I probably should have made them higher but when they reach the top they'll just flop down and then start growing up again.

Zeppy,

6" netting is great, I thought of using it myself but wanted to use something a little more sturdy.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm letting mine grow and latch on the netting from my cage (to keep out all the killer squirrels etc) is this ok or will it hurt the plant? I had those little sticks but they have outgrown them.

Saint

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Saint'

How high is your cage? Probably they need to grow much higher as most pole beans will grow 8' or more.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

humm around 5 ft or so I'd guess I don't have to bend much when I'm inside it. These beans have another month to either put out or get trashed...remind me next year I want a bush type of bean...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

If your cage has a roof, they will just grow over it, and you will have built-in shade!

I am trying an unusual trellis this year, a circle clothes rack (large, store type). Beans are barely up, so I don't know how they will grow up the slick sides, may use some sand paper, or twist ties?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

use tomato velcro..it's great I have it on my maters, cukes and beans.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

where do I find it?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've seen it at HD as well as Lowes. I have about half a roll left from mine want me to send it you Tue with the books?

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Are you kidding? That would save me a trip to Amarillo! thanks :-) you sweetie... gotta sign off!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

K np I'll slip it in the box and if anybody ask it's a book!

Saint

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

:-)

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's my Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry beans @ 18 days from planting.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Looks great Big_Red, nice looking tomatoes and cabbage too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.