My water iris bloomed today!

Windsor, Ontario, ON(Zone 6b)

Hurray! Isn't it sweet? I also have some white irises on the south side of the house (Siberian, I think), and some yellow ones with red just starting to open behind the pond....

Happily,

Kris

Thumbnail by storybookmum
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thats wonderful so pretty to..

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That iris looks like it may have beards. Does it? If so, it definitely should NOT be growing in water!

It's a lovely iris, but I'd pull it out of that pond immediately if you don't want it to rot.

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that I agree with laurie. It's sure beautiful, but even it's foliage and it's bud structure looks like it's a bearded Iris. They really hate their feet wet. You need some siberians or Japanese Iris. I don't know if Louisiana's grow that far north. They all like water.

I guess that is unless you've been growing it in water for a couple of years and it's happy there. I'm very impressed that you've been able to get a bearded to bloom in standing water. But you have a great opportunity ahead of you. I've always wanted to grow Japanese (ensata) iris and it's too hot here. Enjoy!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

A bearded growing in water? Mine would ROT if I tried that!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you look carefully at the photo, you'll see that the leaf to the far left of the fan closest to the camera and the leaf to the farthest right in the photo both appear to be rotting.

Again I'll recommend removing that iris from the pond immediately before you lose the whole thing to rot.

Laurie

Windsor, Ontario, ON(Zone 6b)

You know, they aren't doing well at all (it's been WEEKS since I signed on, I'm so sorry), but I'm baffled, because I BOUGHT them in water at a pond store! I don't understand!

Going to fish the poor things out. Couldn't understand why they were so pathetic after that one bloom....

Kris

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sadly, there are a whole lot of nurseries that don't have a clue what they're actually sellling, esp. where irises are concerned.

If your iris is still alive, take it out of the pond and out of the pot. Wash the saturated soil off the rhizomes and inspect them for rot (mushy rhizomes that stink). If you find rot, use a sharp knife to cut out all the rotted flesh, then soak the remainders in a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for 20 mins. Rinse in clear water, and place the rhizomes in a protected area out of direct sunlight to dry for a few days. Then replant them in a dry, very well-drained part of your garden in full sun with the rhizomes level with or slightly below the soil surface.

Good luck!

Laurie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.