some garden pictures

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hope you don't mind me posting some of my veggie pictures, I've been out working hard this morn, and decided to take a few pictures.

first picture is a row of maters and spinach. We planted most of our garden inside these long wells I guess, don't know what to call them, there's a small hill down each side and we lay the water hose inside that valley like, and let the water flow all the way to the end. We have well water and it's brown and watering with the sprinkler turns everything brown and it looks terrible so we water this way. we only use the well water for the garden though and the plants,not the house LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

hello kathy ann you got a nice garden going was that tomatoes in those square frames if so sure are nice, what else do you have planted?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

next picture here is yellow crooked neck squash , further down the row the smaller plants are zuchinni, and then at the very end is delicata. planted the same time of course, the other end of the rows always have smaller plants for some reason. don't know why. And there are lots of volunteer sunflower plants coming up which we leave for the most part, unless their in the way of the tiller.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

yes that's tomatoes in those square frames, that's rebarb we stuck in the ground and tied string around works for us >

only thing I won't be posting pics of here is the greenbeans and the lima beans, and okra, their not up yet. it stopped raining and everything quit jgrowing, but i've beeen watering it with the water hose, so maybe soon they'll come up.

this is patty pan squash and cucumbers down at the end, which had to be replanted twice now, must be bad seeds.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

next picture is an overall picture of the cabbages, broccoli, brussels, cauliflower,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

individual cauliflower before I tied it up today

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

last one is artichokes. I also have cantelope and watermelon in the garden, which I didn't take pictures of

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

well kathy you have out done your self, got a great garden, hope you have some help hoeing, you don,t look like you have much grass to worry with in the garden,i hoe almost everyday to get it out of mine and still have a lot.
do you can your stuff are freeze it?

This message was edited May 25, 2005 5:53 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have more grass in there than I know what to do with LOL, I do have to hoe everyday, or it gets way ahead of me, LOL

I do alot of canning and freezing too. give alot away to folks that can't have a garden too

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

kathy - what a great garden you have. I can't believe you have so much growing so big this early in the season! geez, I feel like a slacker. I have some corn up and some peas up making pods, but everything else is very small in comparison to what you have over there!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, this is one of my better years, last year was the pits, weed s up to my rear end LOL

thanks for all the compliments, it'ss such hard work, but I enjoy so much bringing the extra veggies to folks that would die fo rthem. and seeing the looks on their faces when I say here ya go.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Kathy - Two questions, Do you have a pic of your cauliflower tied up? I will look it up but how long to *you* keep them tied? Okay, 3 questions-, in the overall pic what is that tall plant next to the cauliflower and in the foreground - sunflower?

Your garden is beautiful, you are going to have quite the harvest.

Thanks - Kim

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

would love to find out how long to keep them tied up , here's a picture, that's cabbage, that has a sunflower growing by it, they've come up all over the place, i've pulled quite a few up and left quite a few to. figured they would give a little shade in this heat. I also dusted for wormies LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Windermere, FL(Zone 9b)

OK, so I'm going to show my ignorance, but I'm new to this gardening thing: Why do you tie up cauliflower? It's too late in the season to plant cauliflower now, but I plan on growing some in the fall. Margaret

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In a warm climate, like the southern US, It is necesary to keep the heads from turning brow/green/ purple and having a strong flavor. Further north it is mostly for cosmetic reasons, ie to grow a white cauliflower. It heads rapidly, Three to five days max for me, I do not tie until the head is visible, about the size of a quarter.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I waited a bit long for these, they were huge already before I tied up some of them, and they were separating like brocolli does when it starts to seed.

they turn nasty looking brown from the sun whenyou don't like farmer dill said

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

kathy_ann: re: your first message of this thread---- the valleys you're watering in are called "furrows".
LD

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL, thanks, never heard of furrows. cool

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.