Planting 2 clematis together....

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I would like to plant 2 clematis next to each other in the ground...how far apart or rather close together is it OK to plants them? Anything else I should know about doing this?
I am expecting my shipment from Chalk Hill to arrive today...and to plant probably later today.

Also in another location...would it be alright to plant 2 clematis in 1/2 wine barrel...or is one enough?

Thank you for your help. Margie

Meade, KS(Zone 6a)

Margie
I am waiting to see the answer to this question also......Janetlee

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

My new book says....When planting 2 clematis within 20" of each other you should pick ones from the same group...so that pruning requirements are the same" So I would have to assume that it is an OK thing to do. I am quite sure it would be fine in the ground, but the container still leaves me in question. I have heard that they get an extensive root system. So I think I will not add another to the container.
Margie

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wise woman! I put two of the same red one (turned out to be purple) together on a 9'9" trellis only because it's at the end of one row of compost bins and it gets all the goodness of the compost. It worked out so well I added Ramona, a light blue on the right side and the white Miss Bateman on the left.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

pirl...so it sounds like it would work well....I never thought of the fence by the compost bins...you gave me a new area to plant more in...I guess I need more now! I just love clematis...I saw a photo of Ramona and really liked it!

BTW...I am from LI ! My Mom lives in Manorville and I have been to Southold...it is the Southold on LI isn't it?

Margie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Margie, it really depends on the variety of Clematis planted and their ultimate growth size. Definitely planting ones from the same pruning group, will make life much easier for you. Usually, planting similar vines around 2-3 ft apart is a good rule of thumb, unless it is a Montana or one of the very aggressive species variety.

Which variety will be planted in your container?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, Picturelady, the same Southold on the North Fork (Wine Country) of Long Island. The funny part of the clematis is we now have white flowers blooming where Ramona is supposed to be. Maybe I just got it crossed. I'll have to wait until the left side blooms. The compost works magic on the clematis. We've never had them flower so much and grow so tall! I've planted over 75 but not all have made it. These are the most luxurious.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Arlene,
Where are the pics? You need to hire a photographer until your leg's better or else stop teasing with just descriptions of what sounds really gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.