Shade tree commission?

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone here ever belonged to thier township/borough Shade Tree commission? I have an oppurtunity to join ours and I would love to hear from anyone involved in one -- on thing though-- I have to decide in the next couple hours -- Brough president just emailed me and is planning on submitting my name tonight.

HELP!

Heather

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry, I saw this a little too late. Hope you decided to go for it! You can always decline to run for another term if it gets to be too much.

Guy S.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Well-- I totally forgot about it in the course of the day (2 small kids) so I never sent an answer to the Borough President. I emailed him later that night

"Tom--

I would have been delighted to be appointed-- Unfortunalty I read my email after the kids go to bed so I didn't get this one in time to give you an answer. Who was chosen?"

And here is his reply.....

"You !!!!!!!

Tom"

WHA???????? LOL-- I think -- I didn't even tell him for sure that I would - before hand.... soooo I giess I'm on the shade tree commission.. now if I could just figure outh what it is..... LOL! They were not real clear on explaning WHAT is is we're supposed to do....

Heather

(I guess I should mention there was a Coucil meeting last night at 8 pm. That is where the appointments took place- I didn't email him back until after 10 pm)

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Yay, Heather!! I drive through Brookhaven from my house to my friend's in Gradyville, I'll be checking out those shade trees!! : )

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Congratulations!
You may want to "bone up" by perusing websites for and by city arborists (I believe they have a trade magazine or two also....lots of info there!). I ran across some pages once while searching for something else and they were chock-full of the kinds of problems and ideals you may run across. There is also a "Safe Tree" site that is helpful for trees that grow lower than power lines. Other things you may want to look into are root barriers, they sure help save sidewalks from errant roots. Another great place for street tree information is to find local (nearby) city specifications and tree ordinances for street trees in their Municipal Code. Most cities list them on their websites.
Have fun!

K

This message was edited May 27, 2005 2:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.