My DH does love me

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

While at HD last week I saw a wisteria blooming,grabbed one and it was 45 bucks..... my DH dragged me away(kicking and screaming, I might add)
Well,I've been back there twice since then and drooled...almost went into my stash that I have saved for my trip to Susies.....
tonite Chuck came home from work,he had to stop and pick up the pressure washer that was being fixed.Told me he needed help getting it out of the truck

I opened the tailgate.....and it was in there!!!!!!!
I was screaming again....LOL

The thing I found odd was that all three blooming wistera were still there
I think I know why now
Chuck said the sales lady didn't want to sell it
tried to talk him out of it ...
BECAUSE
they are not hardy here
she said if we plant it outside it will die
now I know there are wisteria that are hardy here
My Mom had a gorgeous one
but she sold her house
I had one for years that never bloomed
in fact its still trying to come up from where I cut it down

this one is marked just
Wisteria Sinensis
when I googled it I got conflicting zones on it
one said 3-9
one said 6,7,8
one said to -10 degrees
(it goes to -28 here)

I'm going to pot it up and keep it in the GH for the winter but would like to know ....
is it hardy or not

Thumbnail by crestedchik
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's gorgeous!! What a nice DH. I bought a wisteria at Home Depot last year and it's survived. It only has green leaves coming from the branch that is closer to the ground where the snow protected it. So I hope mine will bloom but we shall see.
:) Donna

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

A-Z Encyclopedia of Gardening says it is native to China and is hardy in zones 5-9. Hortus Third says "zone 5". I have one more book I could look in but my neighbor has it.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

this one says 3-9
http://www.floridata.com/ref/w/wisteria.cfm

this one says 6,7,8
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/wisteria_sinensis.html

This message was edited May 25, 2005 8:30 AM

I guess you take your pick, lol. I can tell you it does not like zone 10! Or maybe DH just ran it over with the lawn mower and told me it died.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

LMAO!!!!
it woulda come up from the roots though....I think
blue ate it...

He probably did, he ate my Shaving Brush tree.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I have three wisteria that I got in a trade several years back. I don't know what type they are, but they do come back every year here in zone 5 (which I really consider zone 4). I have one trained into a tree form and although it doesn't bloom every year, it is hardy.

Sandy

Lavrica, Slovenia(Zone 7a)

Far as I know wisteria and most other species native to the mountains in China should bear winters just fine. If it really is "ordinary" chinensis (same as we have in our garden and enjoy it a lot) and not some specially sensitive variety I would not expect zone 5 to be a problem.

However, keeping it in a pot is quite riskier than having it planted in the ground. It's a seriouos grower and eventually it will be a problem to keep moving it around anyway, so I suggest you just take the plunge and plant it, it will be all for the best. Maybe pile up some stuff over the roots as winter comes and it will be fine.

Lavrica, Slovenia(Zone 7a)

... Also remember to not let it grow too much in a single season - keep pruning the green growth back, like once per month or once every 2 months at the least. The plant will become more resilient and you'll increase the likelihood of again seeing it bloom the following season.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I still have it in a pot
I'm going to try to root some of it
This fall I will move it in the GH
I have a pink one
Not sure what one
But it dies back to the ground every year
That one is getting dug up and potted this year too

I have a small one from a cutting(not sure what color,got it in a trade) that one seems fine,I'm trying to train it to a standard
My old wisteria that I cut back to the ground is growing like crazy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.