jumping the gun ... the MTBs

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went out to see which new SDBs and MDBs had popped, only to find this MTB! I nearly missed it!

This is maiden bloom for LITTLE EGYPT in my garden.

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! I don't usually go for the MTB's, but this one is really pretty! It must REALLY be jumping the gun to be blooming right now in your zone! I'm sure it was a welcome surprise!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If I hadn't decided to pull out some of the monster dandelions in the median bed, I would have missed it altogether! I don't even have any IBs blooming yet, but here's this little MTB. It is a definite bright spot in the garden, as long as you're looking its way. ;-)

Another MTB looks like it's getting mighty close to popping, too.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Second MTB of the season and another first time bloomer for me - APRICOT DROPS.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Must have been the evening backlighting, but NEW IDEA really isn't as rosey as this pic implies. It's actually pretty similarly colored to LITTLE EGYPT which I posted at the head of this thread.

EDIT: After seeing NI and LE blooming together, it has become apparent that they really are quite differently hued. NI is definitely raspberry, while LE is more burgundy. They're both perfectly lovely when backlit with evening light.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SMASH is a darling little reblooming MTB (hasn't rebloomed for me, though).

Thumbnail by laurief
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

OOOH! I LOVE SMASH!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ABRIDGED VERSION is a new bloomer this year. It's a nice orchid pink, but the form is a bit off-balance in this first bloom. There are several stalks and lots of buds coming. Perhaps the other flowers will be better balanced.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ROSEMARY'S DREAM shows her lovely colors here for the first time this year. Such delicacy.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

TYKE adds dramatic contrast to the iris bed with a vigorous clump crowned in flashy near-black and white blooms.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I really needed to cut a bloom and place it by my monitor so I could adjust this photo's color to match the living flower more accurately. FAKIR'S FIRE is absolutely stunning in the garden. Irridescent raspberry color with a deep, dark thumbprint that commands, "Look at ME!"

This message was edited Jun 6, 2005 9:21 AM

Thumbnail by laurief
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Laurie that is beautiful!! How do you adjust the color? I have trouble with the purples looking more blue then purple. Do you have to change it for each photo?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I use Photoshop to crop and make whatever adjustments need to be made to compensate for funky lighting, camera angles, off-color, etc. My camera is especially bad at yellows. It turns true yellows gold and golds orange. Makes me crazy! I have to do a lot to each pic in Photoshop to try to get the yellow tones even close to accurate. And yes, I have to work on the photos one at a time.

That pic of FAKIR'S FIRE was significantly too light when it came out of the camera, so I had to darken it quite a bit. I'm still not sure I got it right without a flower sitting right here for me to compare it to.

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks Laurie, I'm sure it must take along time to get these photos just the right colors and all your hard work shows in your photos. Thanks for sharing them with us!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I'm truly enjoying all these MTBs that are blooming for the first time in my garden this year.

PETITE MONET couldn't be a more picture-perfect plicata. So tiny and delicate, I can see why these little gems are so popular in floral arrangements.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

AACHEN ELF is a vivid reminder of how great things come in small packages.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

No iris says "classic variegata" like the one and only HONORABILE. I'm very glad to have the real thing growing in my garden so I can make comparisons with an HON lookalike I've been growing for years. Unfortunately, the lookalike doesn't look like it'll be blooming this year. Oh well, there's always next year.

Thumbnail by laurief
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Laurie this the one in my garden(very very old) that I have called HONORABILE. Does this look like the real thing.

Thumbnail by hooked
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I wouldn't dare hazard a guess. I've been told that there are a number of HONORABILE lookalikes in gardens. The only way to confirm whether or not you're growing the real thing is to purchase the real thing from a reputable source (like Superstition Gardens) and grow it side-by-side with your lookalike so you can make detailed, point-by-point comparisons of all growth, plant, and bloom characteristics over the next year or two.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

BANGLES is a cutie with an interesting, almost geometric shape. Those standards maintain a perfect, pointed dome for the life of the flower.

Thumbnail by laurief
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks Laurie.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

STEFFIE has definitely charmed me in her debut bloom. Who could resist such a delicate beauty?

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I had my choice of posting the best angle or the best color for this cv. I chose the best angle. BOLD IMP is another first-time cutie, but he's more dramatic in real life. His standards have a bright copper sheen to them that's not apparent in this photo. Really an eye-catching iris. I can't wait to see him mature into a full blooming clump.

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the varied coloration of the MTBs and a full blooming clump can be eye catching in any garden. Keep the pics coming, Laurie.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Your wish is my command, Wanda. Here's another newbie for me - the bright and bouncy WELCH'S REWARD!

Thumbnail by laurief
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Oooh. I planted Welches Reward too late last year (october!) & it was sickly this spring. Couldn't survive the 2 hard freezes we had in April. :(

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

What's a MTB?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MTB = Miniature Tall Bearded

From the AIS website at:
http://www.irises.org/classification.htm

"Miniature Tall Bearded (MTB) -- this second class of small TBs (16 inches to 26 inches) is distinguished by daintiness and delicacy. The blooms are smaller than on a BB and the stems are thin and wiry. An MTB clump looks like a cloud of butterflies. They are often called "Table Irises" because they are so well suited for arrangements."

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Laurie,
I though maybe medium... but 'medium tall' didn't make sense.
"Miniature Tall" makes even less... *LOL*
Isn't that a conundrum or at least an oxymoron?

Either way they are beautiful
Dovey

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

SECOND OPINION is another nice first-timer. It looks better when it's not rain-soaked, though. Nice contrast.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

MERIT is an adorable surprise with his multicolors and abundant freckles. Too cute!

Thumbnail by laurief
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

My favorite this year. A Minnesota transplant :o)

Tyke

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Love that one, almost like a Black & White.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Thank you. Tyke does have a very dark purple falls that in certain light it does appear black and white.

Roni

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

ALATELY is yet another perky little variegata blooming for the first time here.

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

LITTLE BAY DENOC didn't impress me when he first showed me a few flowers on a small clump. This year, however, he bubbles with brilliant blue blooms that just make me go, "Ooooo!"

This message was edited Jun 15, 2005 9:17 AM

Thumbnail by laurief
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

CAROLYN ROSE is another charming little MTB who has clumped up beautifully this year. For some inexplicable reason, however, I neglected to take a clump shot. DUH!

Thumbnail by laurief
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Oh Laurief!!! I am swooning! What I didn't know was out there in the big wide world of irises...I was just thinking to myself, "Where does she put them all..?" Where would I put them all...? And I thought of a possible site for them on our farm - where they could be seen from the road, on the north slope of the cow barn. It looked like it was in sunlight this morning, I will have to check the lighting and maybe plant a little test patch of irises there...With a fence around them, just in case...Cows don't seem to care for irises - although they love daylilies - but they can do a whole lot of damage just by wandering into an area...

Hooked: I am not an expert, but to my eyes, that clump of Honorabile looks identical to laurief's.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sharon,

You'd be amazed in what a small space I have all these irises planted. In fact, they are planted so obnoxiously closely at this point that I will have to have one of my farmer neighbors come in and plow up a chunk of my hayfield so I can create a new planting area to space things out reasonably. Right now I can barely get between plants to photograph them as they bloom, and there's no way I can invite anyone to come out here and view them unless they happen to be tight rope walkers!

That northern slope of yours would be ideal for medians. SDBs in particular will bloom quite happily with just a few hours of direct sun a day. TBs require more sunlight to do well. Oh, and you can pack a whole lot more SDBs into the same space than you can bigger irises. ;-)

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate another opinion!
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.