New annuals

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Bought some new annuals today. Got one that I had seen before, but never tried. Million Bells, anybody grow these? They are so pretty. Going to put them in a large pot with vinca and sweet potato vines to sit on my deck.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Cat,
I have quite a few Million Bells. I really like them. One of mine came back from last year (it was mulched and enclosed with other perennials, otherwise it shouldn't have survived) and it is a very bright dark pink. It is so pretty now!
Very easy to grow. They do like the heat and take awhile to get blooming if it is cool yet. I have them in the ground hanging over my raised timbers and also in hanging pots.
Carol

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, bought some last year from Mischel's Greenhouses - great plants at $3.00 - most annuals but a few fuchsia's that might be able to be held over up here in 7a. Love million bells. No deadheading like big petunias. Charming plant.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Which should I put in window boxes - Million bells trailing blue, or Rozanne geranium? Have heard that Rozanne blooms from June to frost.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my Million Bells that was held over from last summer. Which I was really surprised to see but it was kind of mulched good and surrounded by some plants.
They can get pretty big now after one year as you can see in the picture. These bloom from May to frost. Tho they do like the sunny weather so don't put them in part shade. Full sun.
I have never heard of Roxane geranium so I don't know about it. Maybe they are better for the east coast?
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Maybe. Thanks anyway. I keep reading about Rozanne being the greatest geranium ever, continual bloom, hardy, etc. I wonder if you have to deadhead?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Not familiar with the geranium..If you want something to cascade, nothing is better than the wave petunias. I plant them with vinca and they make beautiful planters.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I've done wave petunias every year for the last 4 years, so I was going to try something new. Besides, I can never find the purples any more. People snatch them up around here, or maybe they just aren't popular- I can't find them at any of the stores...last year I didn't find them until halfway through June.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I love the million bells or I believe they are called calibrochas too. I can't believe the new colors in them this year too. I have three hanging baskets going with a yellow orangey one and pinkish orangey one and the new hot pink diascia all planted in one pot. You know how sometimes things just really click and look pretty good together(accidentally usually). Well these are such great little plants. As I was planting one a piece broke off and stuck it under some potting soil in the GH and have kept it wet. This was about a week ago. Would you believe it , it's sprouting roots.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Lenjo, that pot sounds super! I wish I could see it. I find as I get more experience gardening that I take more chances. I think you convinced me to get the calibrachoa.

I'm loving the orangy pinky peaches right now, too. This will be my first year with these colors. It'll either be really awful or really great. I've got Indigo Spires Salvia, Brenthurst Salvia (pale pinky peach), Agastaches Heather Queen (vivid pink purple), Apricot Sprite (almost yellow), and Summer Breeze(a mix of pink and orange), Lantanas in the same color range,Blue Angelonia, and the Trailing blue Million Bells. Oh, yeah, and Marguerite Sweet Potato Vine.

Does anyone know if the blue Million Bells is dark or light? I've got two pictures and they look completely different.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have seen a dark purple million bells and a lavendar one. Never a true blue have I seen.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

The one I've seen is called " Trailing Blue", but in one picture it is dark indigo(almost purple), in the other lavender.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.