Planter in shaded landscape

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I found this container almost completely buried in a shady corner of our lot when we built our house. It has worked well in the same spot…just cleaned up a little.

Thumbnail by 01Glenn
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Thats a great find, lucky you!

Viv

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Glenn, your plant combinations are just stunning. thanks for sharing.
~angela

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, both of you! A friend suggested I start with Sweet Flag and match some coleus to it. The rest happened because the plants were near each other at the nursery. That same friend also said, "when you have the container full, add one more".

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol..you lucky sucker! Only think I found in a corner of our lot when we bought was a half rotten plastic pool. I'll trade ya!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Look at the bright side, Araness...you unearthed a water feature!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol...I didn't look at it that way but...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Marc, great combination of plants....luv it! The tallish var. pink plant looks like a fuchsia to me. Couldn't find anything on the camelian plant.
:) Donna

This message was edited May 24, 2005 6:43 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

That is a great looking container! The coleus and all the plants just 'pop'! I love it.

PerennialGirl, are you looking for 'Chameleon' Houttuynia cordata? I have it as a ground cover and love it. You might want to look here http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2164/index.html

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

That's lovely! You know what? I have seen that same design container here, half way round the earth, in a few places, including my g-father's house. It's lying there since 1950 and it has been erected on a 3 foot pedestal in brick. It's my favourite design and I like to look at it as many number of times and it is not boring at all! Try to place it a little higher and its beauty will be enhanced. Will try to get a picture of our old thing in due course - have to dig the album of b/w pictures. It stands outside the main entrance to our house... of course, I moved from here 8 yrs ago, but now my mom stays there... she has planted the holy basil in it now.

Dinu

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Dinu, you are right about seeing the same design elsewhere. I have seen it a number of places around North Carolina and the few people I ask about it, all say they are about 50+ years old. It must have been popular in the 50’s. I like the design…its enough to be interesting, but doesn’t take away from the plants. Thanks for sharing that!

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I like the plants you've put together in the container. Wish I had that kind of imagination. lol

Joan

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Joan. I really don't have much experience with it either, but I have read a few articles about container plantings and they all say about the same thing. Go with a “thriller, filler and a spiller.” Besides, Coleus is easy because of the variety available.

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi............What is the blue flower? And what is the trailing plant? I love that combination..........And the container is beautiful!

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I think maybe the blue one is agereatum (sp?)

Joan

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

There are actually 4 plants in the container: Variegated Sweet Flag, Coleus, Lamium and the blue trailing plant is Lobelia. There is a blue flower in the lower right corner of the picture, but that’s an Aquilegia growing next to it. In fact, the container is surrounded by Columbine, but their blooms were pretty much spent before I took the pic.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

That was the pot I mentioned about. Isn't this the same design? This was erected there in 1950. The people there are my relatives from my mother's side. Mom is next to her mom with the blue-green saree. My maternal uncles, aunts and cousins are in the picture. This pot is featured in many photos that we have taken at that spot. In another, I have placed my young child in it when it was empty.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Great combination of plants!!! I love, love, love the lobelia. And what a neat treasure to find. :)

Hey, Dinu. Looks like the same pot to me! I love your family photo!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jen…and Dinu, I have looked closely at the pot and I think there are some small differences, but close enough! As it turns out now, a couple weeks after I took this picture, I am going to have to move the Coleus out as it has grown too big and covers most of the other plants. Any suggestions on replacement plants?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

nice things come in big packages too.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Debi - I'll try your idea. I clipped the Coleus back some and it looks better. I stuck the cuttings in a jar of water. I have never rooted a Coleus before, does anyone know if I need to add anything to the water to help it along?

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Coleus root real easy. Shouldn't be a problem.

Joan

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Joan - you're right. The cuttings have nice roots now and I've moved them to another pot with some Begonias

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.