Raised beds for vines

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Sundry and I have been discussing raised beds for our passionvines. I have tackled this problem and whipped it. Lots of work, bucks, and time have proven successful. It is far from perfect and still a work in progress. Here are a few pictures that I took today.

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

HERE is the first picture.....I hope.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

South side.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

West side-the back of the terrace.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

This is a large caerulea, comfrey, coleus, and a young Lady Margaret.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

The bluebirds have fledged. The blue dawn hasn't yet started blooming. I find the pots on benches work well. I don't have to bend as much. Actually, my bad back was the original reason for the raised beds.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

This is the first year with landscaping fabric between the boxes. I wish I had done this years ago! The black is hot, but so was the white limestone that I had before.

Thumbnail by Flicker
Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is the only picture I didn't take today. St Francis is currently buried under blue dawn. I will clip a hole for him when I get the time!

Thumbnail by Flicker
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks great! Can't wait to see them all in bloom.
:) Donna

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

I love the way all your plants look,and I like the bench idea.
I hope you will post more pictures as they start to bloom... it will be nice to see all the trellises fill up with bloom.
have a good day and thanks for sharing.
:}
RH

Thumbnail by rh3708
Frederick, MD(Zone 7b)

Very lovely, Flicker!! PLEASE do add in update pix as the flowers bloom. I love all your trellises and your pots are gorgeous! Do you have a fave place to buy them? You've really created a beautiful, peaceful lil get-away spot :-)
Carolyn

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

All I can say is WOW
WOW again....

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

The arched trellises are cheapies from Harbor Freight. A couple of years ago the 8 ft x 1 ft arch went down to $4.00. No lie. I bought 15 and continued from there. HF will send email newsletters and announce which products are on sale. I write "trellis" in search and check every time. They do have to be reinforced with metal fenceposts. WE have had 1 hurricane come through, it did destroy one. I am pleased with the product because it is light enough for me to work with.
You can see a single width here. For my larger boxes I use 2 arches together for a 24" width.

Thumbnail by Flicker
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been trying to figure out a way to have vines and not have them up against the house or the fences, per my DH wishes ! I currently have a climbing rose in a large container and a clematis in another. Well, I think the arches like you have flicker is just what I needed.
I ordered 4 of them for myself today. I will put one on each side of the rose container for it to climb on and I am not sure yet about where to place the other two...but I will for sure be putting them somewhere.
Thanks so much for the ideas and photos in your post. I knew there had to be an answer somewhere!
Margie

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

How wonderful Flicker... thanks so much for sharing .... it has now given me lots of ideas on how to add some vertical interest to my garden projects......I want to completely replace my front yard grass with pathes and gardens..... building raised beds would be a wonderful way to provide arches over the paths..... I'll have to keep an eye out at Harbor Freight - its where I got my little green house that I just love .....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.