Anyone with a rough estimate of what it costs to heat a GH?

Parkersburg, WV

Hey Gang,

It's an ugly subject, I know, but does anyone have a ballpark figure of what it costs them to heat a greenhouse in the winter. I'm Zone 6 in Parkersburg, WV---and I know that summer is fast approaching so I really shouldn't be thinking about winter already, BUUUT....--

I've got a 18'x24'x10' greenhouse from Farm-tek --"Solar-insulated" model with 8mm polycarbonate twinwalls as endwalls, the inflated 6mm polyethylene film as a roof, and single sheeting of 6mm polyethylene from about 3 & 1/2 to 4 feet down. The natural gas that's in my development will heat 2 75,000 BTU Hot Dawg heaters (one to back up the other). The greenhouse has a primarily North/northeastern exposure (I know, I know, but I couldn't have it built in the driveway where it would be southern exposure now could I ? ;) )
50 gallon black drums of H20 is out of the question. The only things I can think of to help "insulate" the greenhouse is the bubblewrap (which I intend to use on the endwalls--- the "big bubble" kind), I've got some styrofoam R-1 insulation sheeting from Home Depot (Lowes sells it too) to help fasten against the single sheeting of polyetylene 6mm film, and, finally, some reflective bubblewrap--- Farm-tek calls it "Tekfoil" reflective insulation.

I plan on having the greenhouse heated (if need be) to 67-70F in the day and 56-60 at night. Any ideas on what the gas bill might run come December, January, February? I checked our last gas bill from Dominion Hope and the cost of 1 MCF (million cubic feet? is my guess as to what 'MCF' stands for) was $12.0630 . (wonder how many BTU's or BTU's/hr this translates into?)

Please give me a holler with any of your heating bill stories (hopefully they're not "nightmares"). Also, wood-burning stoves are NOT a possibility to heat this baby either.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Get your wallet out...we heat a FarmTech 30 X 48 with wood and back up propane. Started heating in March and used the heater until May. Cost about $800 for three months. We kept the thermostat set at 50F until late April when we bumped it up to 65.

Parkersburg, WV

Ahhhhh,

$800 in 3 months! I better start growing something else besides orchids! BTW, what does propane run these days? I've got the day off tomorrow (Wed} so I might just call the gas company (and beg for mercy :) ) and see what MCF stands for and how that translates out to BTU's or BTU's per hour. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and try to figure out how to "winterize" the greenhouse w/o sacrificing the plants or the temperature in there.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You might want to look into solar pool covers as a means to blanket-insulate your GH. They are held down w/ grommets and small bunge-cords or ropes, and will cover your GH to insulate. Other GH owners are having success with them and they should last 3-5 years, making the cash-outlay worth the purchase. I will be purchasing one for this coming winter. I heat with propane and the cost to heat the GH was about $650 for the year. My GH is not commercial, so it's an expensive 'hobby'. I have a Modine heater and 6mm polycarb walls in my GH. (Of course, we are still using some propane at night right now because this is an unseasonably cold spring for us.) No insulation on the GH but next year, the north-facing lower section will be insulated w/ styrofoam, as you mentioned. Water-containers for solar retention is out of the question here, too. Back up heat is forced kerosene with it's own stat.
Hope this helps.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My fuel oil bill for Feb until now is $1900. That includes the house,(which doesn't use much fuel,)our wood shop, (that does use lots,) & 3 greenhouses.
There might be a couple hundred gallons left. We had an easy winter. May took more heat than it should have.
Our greenhouses are between 57º & 62º when furnace are on.
Bernie

Parkersburg, WV

Geez,

You guys are getting me afraid, but I asked. I did a little homework in the past several days and just to put the word out for anyone interested in a fairly cheap outlay of cash for a possible decent return on lower heating bills::

1. on e-bay if you do a search for 55 gallon drums, a guy is selling them for $5.00 (yes, not a typo...FIVE dollars each. S&H is $15 for the first one and $10 for each successive one!) Sure beats the other costs of $153.00, and $74.00 per container w/S&H being $25 per container from various packaging companies. The containers this guy sells come in 30 or 33 gallon size and 55 gallon size and the 55 gallon size has a removeable lid with fastening band. He said it stored glycerin --a food ingredient to make ice cream. They are washed out and ready to use. NOt a bad deal, it seems.... I'll keep you posted.

2. Second fairly cheap idea is the bubble wrap on the walls idea. There is a company in Toledo Ohio www.cuttingedgepackaging.com that sells large bubble rolls 2 feet wide and 130 feet in length for $17.99 (S&H I think is $15 each, so again, not a bad initial investment if it really cuts down the heating bills come winter time!

Thanks for your input, though, It really is much appreciated. Keep any other bills/costs coming and or ideas to lower your heating costs!

Pete

After checking out lots of different sites I ordered 3 rolls of 24" x 130' x 1/2" bubble wrap http://www.cuttingedgepackaging.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=63 all for $78.58 - shipping included.

I'm hopeful this will make a huge difference in the cost of keeping my 12' x 27' hoop house warm this winter.

[Edited to remove the word unperforated]

This message was edited Oct 29, 2005 9:58 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.