Need triple Purple Datura Plants-Help!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I purchased a double purple datura last year from a local nursery and thought I could get the plants this year but the nursery doesn't have them. I would be willing to buy rooted cuttings or plants (2) from anybody who has extras. (either double or triple, doesn't matter). I learned my lesson & if I am lucky enough to get them for this year, will winter them over in the greenhouse & take cuttings for insurance. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I tried growing them from the seeds I collected last year but cannot get the seeds to germinate, even with bottom heat. Help!!!!!

This message was edited May 22, 2005 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have double Purple, but not tripple, -Michael

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Buttoneer,

It would seem that I have a triple Datura. (see thread - Am I a Datura?)

Here is the problem, I wouldn't begin to know how to take cutting from this Datura. I just found out what it was. If you have suggestions as to how to do this, I will be very happy to share with you.

Take a look at the photo in the above mentioned thread and see if this is what your looking for. Also is it large enough to take cuttings?

Dee

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I've read that it is very difficult to take cuttings from datura. Most people just plant the seeds.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted seeds I collected from it but they are not coming up.
The best way is to pinch the top off, so the datura branches, then cut off one of the branches. I wouldn't know why it wouldn't root, expecially in water because Brugs root in water.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I looked at your datura and yes it is a triple purple datura & a nice one. I would wait til it gets some branches on it before you try cuttings. Wouldn't to prematurely take cuttings on it.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I pinch the top or let it branch naturally than take a 6 to 8 inch cutting dip it in rootone and put in cleen damp sand [3/4 of the way into the sand] and keep it damp [not soaking wet] when it stands up on its own [about 3 weeks] you can fertilize or transplant to a pot with fertile soil., -- Michael

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

Thanks Michael!

I will give this a try.

Dee

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Michael & Dee. Appreciate your help.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I have black currant swirl datura that I grew from seeds if your still looking for them. I also have the double white and double yellow. I can send them for postage or trade. Let me know.

Cathy

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

The fastest way to propagate daturas is by seed. I've never heard of anyone being successful at rooting cuttings (until now). Seeds should germinate in 30 days or less in warm weather. The Datura metel var fastuosa will yield double and triple blooms on the same plant. There are no plants which will produce only triples or only doubles. The same is true of Datura metel var chlorantha.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.