Chihuahuan desert plants(New Mexico Portion)

Hi my name is Angele; DG member for a couple of months and am thrilled to finally find this forum. I was wondering if there was a place for wildflowers/natives and here it is! I have really enjoyed reading some of the threads here.
I live in the Chihuahuan Desert in New Mexico. There are a lot of plants that grow in the wild here that I haven't got a clue about. I have posted some on the ID website but my last one didn't get any responses at all. Would it be ok to post a few photos here? There are only a few subscribors from New Mexico and in the 2 months I've been here I haven't been lucky enough to meet a single one.
Thanks, Angele

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Posp away, Angele!

OK!
Here's a tiny little plant. It seems to grow in clustered groups. I've found them close to my home at the 4900' elevation and where I used to live in New Mexico which was about 5,800'. The plant is usually only about 3 inches high, has a pink flower followed by a seedhead that looks a lot like a dandelion's.
The leaves are very hard with spiny edges. I've walked acres & acres here but have only found one grouping of these.
two photos coming up

Thumbnail by angele

photo two shows the pink flower & how they grow in groups

Thumbnail by angele

Found this plant, it is listed in Plantfiles as Acourtia nana
Thanks for looking- Angele

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

?.... ;-)

I am puzzled. Are you asking a question? LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I misspoke. Thought another pic was coming. :)

Sorry my post wasn't clear. I was referring to the plant that already was posted in this thread. I was able to identify it from photos on the internet.

Albuquerque, NM

Howdy fellow Southwesterners! Like you Angele, I'm thankful to find someone from this area. I just joined today. I am a novice gardener, but what I lack in experience I make up for in my new gardening obssession! I am landscaping a new home and have so many questions I thought this website might be a good place to start! I am currently living in Albuquerque Zone 6b-7a and my sister, a fantastic gardener, lives in Hatch 7a-7b so we compare notes.

What grows in elephant Butte!?

A super warm welcome to a fellow New Mexican!!! I just had lunch in Hatch yesterday! EB is just about 45 miles north. I have been a member her just since March but I visit the site every day. You are the first member from NM I have met and I am so glad you wrote
:-) Elephant Butte is high desert scrub brush with lots of mesquite, creosote, mormon tea, prickly pear, apache plume. There are not very many yards that are landscaped here. I have a dwarf catalpa that is the talk of the town! LOL one of the town workers asked what it was and said the folks at City Hall wanted to know. I keep a journal here that has most of the plants I have listed. http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/sj/angele/1639/
Desert Plants and flower beds has most of my yard plants and my favorite section is Out and about where I have posted a lot of the wildflowers from this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.