Best red onion

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Ok I am already planning next years garden. I didn't do to well this year and was way behind on planting so I am going to make sure everything is ready next spring.

I am looking for a sweet large red onion. When I read the description in the catalogs they don't say anything about being sweet so I would like some ideas.

Thanks so much.
Venessa

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Red Burgermaster, Stockton Sweet Red, Southern Belle Red,Red Burgandy
are sweet red onions, athough the sweeteness is somewhat dependent on soil conditions. You will probably need a short day onion, such as the Southern Belle or Red Burgundy, The Stockton Sweet may be the sweetest, it is an intermediate day Onion. When I lived in Virginia, I grew the Red Burgermaster, an excellent onion but it needs cool summers. (A long day Onion) All of these are available from Dixondale or Browns Omaha Plant Farms as plants..

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much. I wrote those names down and going to try and decide which one I want to grow :O) It didn't even accur to me about needing a short day onion so that is much appreciated as well.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I agree with Dill.....Stockton Sweet and Southern Belle are my two very favorite reds here! Luv 'em!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I am so glad I asked this question here because I haven't heard of these varieties before and it looks like I have really been missing out. Thanks so much.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ditto, those are what I am growing :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.