PLANTING CLEMANTIS

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello All! Need some help please.......
I just purchased 4 new clemantis vines and need to get them in the ground. In all the pots the "knobby" part of the plant is above the soil in the pots. Do I bury this part or do I leave it above ground as it's in the pots? I thought I heard somewhere that this "knobby" part needs to be buried because this is where new shoots come from.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
carole in atlanta
PS beautiful gardening day here in atlanta! :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on your four new arrivals! I would plant them so the "knobby" part is an inch below the surface of the earth. Remember to incorporate, in the planting hole, lots of good compost and a touch of lime. Enjoy!

Give us the names and where you'll plant them!

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Pirl...thanks for the info....will do as you have suggested...:-)
I thought I bought 2 blue moons and 2 josephines but just went out and looked I have 1 blue moon and 3 josies. Oh well....
I have a very electic garden with lots of things made out of metal "found objects" . I learned to weld a couple of years ago (my husband is glad I go to a friend's shop to do my work so I am supervised, lol)
I made 2 tree looking items with rebar that are about 7 feet high that are stuck in the ground. They are out by the street and that's where these clemmies are being planted. Should be very cool looking when they climb up these metal trees. they will get am sun and afternoon shade. If I can figure out how to post pics I will do do.
Again, THANK YOU!
carole in atlanta

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carole, I would suggest something at the feet of your clematis. I have read where they like cool roots. I have planted various little perenniels dianthus or snow in the summer at the roots. Good Luck!!!! Joann

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Big Daddy knocks the bottom out of a terra cotta pot and burys it upside down underground with his clemantis planted inside that. Here is the thread; http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/495710/
sidney

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks all for the info! I mulched really well around the bottom. Seems to work well for all the others I have growing.
carole in atlanta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.