Travelling children

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

There's an interesting thread over at the teaching web site that I go to regularly. It was started by a primary school teacher who was keen for advice on how best to teach a young Traveller boy. His parents are both illiterate. At the moment so is he. She wants to teach him to read, along with the other schoolchildren of his age.

The thread is growing - I've put in a comment about my old travelling friend. Regrettably we've had one or two rascist comments and one "gentleman's" post has been deleted. There are posts from two travellers.

I don't know whether you have Travellers in your country, or their counterparts. As I have a Traveller friend I am find this fascinating.

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2099067&path=/SEN/&threadPage=&messagePage=1

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

what an nteresting thread. Sure learned a lot about what's going on with the Traveling community.
There have been some excellent responses...

It's interesting to hear comments from the travellers themselves. I have an old friend who is from a travelling family, one of the kindest persons you could ever meet. There's good and bad in all of them. When I went to Yarm Fair last year I was bit surprised to see that they had actually lit their fires on top of the road surface. I suppose there are concessions made during Fair Week.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

This was fascinating reading. I didn't realize that there were still people living that way. But it is sad when the children do not get some kind of education.

Yes, it is Doris. It limits the number of opportunities that they have. My friend Stanley,a traveller, spent his working years gutting fish. But he's a very intelligent man who might have done something different if he'd had the chance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.