Corn in EB

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

This is my corn growing in an EB. So far so good. I have never grown corn before. It seems to be fast growing. This is about 2 weeks since we put seeds in dirt.

Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

How many plants do you have there? I'm anxious to see how many ears you get. I'll keep watching this thread

Good luck
Phil

There are 16 I think. The earthbox directions said to plant 8 on each side. Our seed packet said 6-8 ears per stalk. My kids are already doing the math :)

Laura

Updated picture of my corn. I have never grown corn before. I think it looks good but not sure what corn should look like!

Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

never seen it grown in a box before but it looks pretty good to this Iowa boy. Corn takes up a lot of water so keep that resivor full. Keep up the good growing.

Phil

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5a)

Laura, I'm anxious to see how well your corn does. If it turns out to be a good pickin this year are you going to buy more EB's just for corn? Buy enough of them and you can make a corn maze in your back yard. Wouldn't that be exciting?

Mark

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

This is my first year using EB's. I have one and I have two tomato plants in them. I bought a total of 4 plants and gave the other two to my neighbor. You should see the difference! Mine are now about twice as tall as his! If my tomatoes turn out well I will buy another for cucumbers. If your corn turns out well I will buy one for corn too.

Phil

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5a)

Phil, This is my first year as well with EB's. I've got three to start. In one I have two tomatoes, another with cukes, and the third with some bell peppers and an additional tomato plant. All have been doing extremely well. All of the transplants were very small when I planted them three weeks ago. Now all of the tomato plants are about 2' tall and blooming. I now have small bell peppers and the cukes are growing like mad. I've been telling everybody about the EB's. Most people say that they're too expensive but if you look at a regular planter you'd be spending around $20 anyway. I'm glad to have joined the EB community. I think you will be too. I'm just anxious to see how the corn turns out.

Mark

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 2:19 PM

Baton Rouge, LA(Zone 9a)

Please explain what an "earth box" is. I would LOVE to grow corn myself.....
Thanks.

Hi CaCajun, Check out www.earthbox.com for info on what they are and how they work. This is my first year to use them and I really like them. I have 5 and hope to order 5 more next year. Right now I have corn, okra, carrots and tomatoes growing in mine.

Laura

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey Laura! Just checking up to see how the corn is doing. Is it Knee High or as tall as an elephants eye yet?

Phil

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Phil,
Over the phone the other day I asked her the same thing.
She thought I read your post.
Was that song from the musical "Oklahoma"?

Dovey

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

From Iowa (yes, Oklahoma)

Here are some pictures! These were taken Father's day, they are even bigger now. We have 5 baby ears (so far) with beautiful purple silk spilling out.

Thumbnail by 4xthefun

And another, closer up.

Thumbnail by 4xthefun

Today's corn pictures.

Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

They look great! How many plants did you end up with? 10?

Gosh, I think I planted 16. I am not sure if we still have 16 or not. It seems like one of the seeds didn't sprout.

Laura

Update on the corn.

The corn seemed to do very well. I have 15 or so ears out there right now with more coming. It grows incredibly fast! It takes a ton of water once they get big. It seems I have to nearly fill the whole earthbox everyday.

I planted early golden bantam. I just planted some red corn in another earthbox that I tried carrots in. The carrots didn't do well in the earthbox :(

I am in mourning. My corn is infested with nasty, fat, gluttonous caterpillars that climb into the ears and eat and do god knows what else in there! There are castings, little wormy babies, big fat wormy things, yuck!

So, that's how my corn turned out.

Laura

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Laura: below is the solution to your corn earworm problem:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/knowhow/pp/corn/index.html

sounds like you did pretty good, you should try again...also check the vegatable forum for more corny tips...

Michael

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Laura, I know this is an old thread, but I found it doing a search on earworms. I was wondering if you did corn again this year and how it turned out. My corn was infested with them also. I have read that there are some varietys more resistant than others, but golden bantam was supposed to be, so I guess that might not be a factor in deciding next years corn crop. That thread that Michael sent you is something I had heard before, but never tried. This other site says something similar, but adds BT to oil. Take care, Mike http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/sweetcorn.pdf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.