Purslane in Portulaca

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

There must have been some seeds of purslane in my portulaca seeds 'cause both are now coming up together. But this is an area that the portulaca grew in last year and there wasn't any purslane at all! In fact I have never had it before this year. How could this have happened?

I know this stuff can be invasive but I'm gonna wait to see if the flower is pretty before I pull it out- LOL! Or am I playing with fire here?

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb,

They are of the same Family! Watch what you pull on! They look quite the same when growing. I know that as I grow both.

~* Robin

Oh, I forgot this:

Searching the PlantFiles: Portulaca
106 exact matches - http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Portulaca&Search=Search
Go through all of the pages you will see what I mean on page 4.

This message was edited May 21, 2005 6:18 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Robin,
Thanks!!
The purslane I have has fat, flat stems and lays low to the ground whereas the portulaca is "spinier" and sticks up. I've grown it for years and can easily recognize it. It's the purslane that has me puzzled as I can't see how it got here. I have never grown it. Wish I had a digicam!

So do you find yours to be invasive at all? Should I just let it grow or pull it up now?

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Deb,

Both have those dust like seeds, and to tell you the truth I eat the purslane, but sometimes the rabbits try to get it before I do. (competition! LOL) All of but wind or a bird could have done it to you. Some times all it takes is a little tiny piece to be dropped and it can take off from there. In fact if it was a bird, they probably were taking some of the roots to line their nest with.

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.