May 21 Tulip Day

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's Tulip Festival Day in Clymer, our little town in SW NYS. Jessie will be one of the Klein Klompen Dancers for the first time this year, wooden shoes, lace cap and all. Her mother and aunt Klomped all through school and Julia was a runner up in the Tulip Queen contest and Melissa was Tulip Queen, for which we still tease her. My girls aren't what you'd think of as beauty queen candidates (beautiful yes, but they were both scholar athletes and tom boys) but they both did it for the fun of being in something with their friends and with no expectations whatsoever of even coming close. It was a lot of fun at the time, and Melissa got a nice little scholarship out of it. She was the reigning Queen for 3 years, I think, as they didn't hold the contest during that time do to lack of interest on the part of the girls. When they finally did have another contest, Melissa was the MC and they left her onstage for an unscheduled half an hour duing which she did a pretty good stand up act. She even razzed her father about being the one who was going to win the slow race that the tractor club was putting on, not knowing he was in the audience. She had been the one towing the old JD A around all moring trying to get it started!

Stan isn't doing hay today. He had hoped to cut some on Thursday, but it just isn't mature enough. There weren't any seed heads showing on the orchard grass. He said the dandelions haven't even started to go to seed on the field that he starts on. It's on rented ground that is lower than we are by a couple hundred feet and there have been some really heavy frosts down there this week. Probably for the best anyway, next weekend our SIL will have 4 days off and be able to chop for him.

Kathy, glad you finally got Marilyn Milkshake out the gate. Nobody needs a mean cow, to say nothing of a mean cow with horns!

We tested milk last night and I thought I'd mention that Nut gave 40 pounds - not bad for a cow staring at her 14th birthday!

take good care

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!