Tree peony Alice Palmer

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My plant has 3 flowers this year - it's superb!

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

The other 2 flowers are right next to each other

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Hello Galanthophile this is my first year for my tree peonie as a matter of fact I thought I'd lost it. I bought it late last summer on sale and thought I'd give it a go and forgot to plant it right away and when I did it went into a slump or something so I thought I'd killed it but I didn't take it out of the ground and to my surprise it's very healthy looking and growing very well. How big do they get and did you have flowers the first year? Your flower is very pretty by the way.
Flowerpot (Linda)

This flowered as quite a small plant - I think I've had it 3 or 4 years. I also have a paler pink one that is a smaller plant and it has 1 flower coming. They'll grow into a sizeable shrub about 6 feet tall and as much wide. They are wonderful plants. Good luck with yours!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the reply Galanthophile I think I may have to move my peony tree if they get that big, when should I transplant it and do they take kindly to being moved?
flowerpot

I think if you are going to move it I would do it when the plant is relatively small. If you take out as much of the rootball and surrounding soil as you can it should be ok as that will be as making as little disturbance as possible.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

What a gorgeous one! I'll have to get one. Yes Tree peonies do not like to be moved..but I have moved them and they just sulk for awhile but all survived and are doing well now. And I moved them in the spring after they had leafed out, which is a bad time but it was necessary.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks to both of you I think I will wait now until next spring before it's leaves appear to move it, I don't want to miss the chance that there might be a flower on it this year. I haven't noticed any buds as of yet but I haven't examined it closely with my glasses on either ha ha. (arms to short syndrome) Galanthopile I want to be sure where I'm going to put it so it'll have the space and the right amount of sun, or I could cut everything else out around the peony tree, if mine turns out as pretty as yours. MMMMMMM now where to put it that is a good question.
Linda (flowerpot)

Yes it's worth taking the time to consider the best place. A good time to move it would probably be autumn when the plant is going dormant. If you move it next spring it will be in full growth and that could be a bigger shock to its system.

Corte Madera, CA

how gorgeous! =)

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Okay that's even better should I give it something other then transplant food when I transplant it? It's growing leeps and bounds right now, but I don't see any flower heads on it.( I put my glasses on to check) My regular peonies are loaded this year with buds and this is their second year. Gosh I love spring seeing everything coming back to life I go out every morning and talk to them all. I'm very sad the dame rabbits have eaten my lilies and they were all coming along so nicely, thank goodness they don't eat peonies or I'd be sitting out there at night waiting for the little night munchers.

What do you mean by transplant food? If you move it in autumn I wouldn't feed it as it will be shutting down for the winter. Wait until spring and then feed it.

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

I have this fertilizer that I get from the garden centre for transplanting it's supposed to help the roots establish themselves. It's probably not a fertilizer but for root establishing. It's 10:56 pm here and I don't feel like going to the garden shed to read it, but will tomorrow and see if it's a fertilizer as well, I'll let you know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.