The Yumminess: Gardenwife's mango salsa

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I first made mango salsa for our 2005 Superbowl party, and it was a hit. I'd found the recipe at a website and prepared it while reading the ingredient list on-screen from my laptop. Somehow I never saved the recipe, bookmarked the page, or anything. I couldn't find it again.

Why do we do these things to ourselves?

Tweaked and tweaked yet again, this is what I've come up with (so far). You know that no recipe is set in stone, so you might decide you like more mango or cilantro...You know how it goes. :)

The Yumminess
AKA Gardenwife's Mango Salsa

All ingredients finely chopped, but not pureed - -

2 cups diced tomatoes*
1 cup red onion
1-2 finely diced jalapeno
1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 cups mango
4 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp white vinegar (have also used rice vinegar)
Garlic powder - to taste
Salt and pepper - to taste
Juice of one large lime

* I use grape tomatoes in the winter since regular hydroponic ones are pretty mealy and don't have much flavor. Can't wait for great, fresh produce!

Directions: Use your food processor's pulse feature and just give each ingredient a few pulses so it's chopped, but not pureed. If hand-chopping, cut everything to a pretty fine consistency.

Fold the diced veggies and fruit together in a large glass bowl, adding in cilantro and other ingredients as you go. Cover and let stand at least a an hour before serving (several hours is even better). Refrigerate if not eaten within a few hours. Best eaten within a day or so. Great on chips, or over chicken or grilled fish.

You can also add a bit of diced cucumber to this salsa for a little added crunch. I've also substituted cucumber for the mango to make a less sweet salsa.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2007 8:44 AM

This thread has 78 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!