Melvatoo, your Chinese Cabbage seeds made this...

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I believe I got the seeds from Melvatoo. Envelope just said "Chinese Cabbage" Does anyone know what kind? I started six, gave away three, planted three. My 3 were eaten down by bunnies. Two grew back. This one is thriving, but now has something munching on it. Can't find the culprit. There was a wasp and hover fly buzzing around looking for the culprit as well. Hope they found and consumed them! I forgot to take out the measuring tape, but it is OVER two feet wide. I am thinking I started these on Valentine's Day, and set them out on March 13. Both times under the sign of taurus, which is great for leafy greens.

So, what is the variety, maturity date, type of cabbage (conical, head, or looseleaf), and who is eating it??? I will likely spray with soapy water tomorrow...

As you can see, it is crowding out the leeks, celery, and red drumhead cabbage (who aren't looking so well after their last transplant).

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

tamara.... I've grown Asian veggies for 25 years.... yours looks like it's fully mature and I believe its some variety of Pak Choi, sometimes spelled Bok Choy.
Pick & eat the sucker before it bolts to seed!! Warmer weather & longer daylight time signals them to bolt to seed. Try it again at the beginning of your cooler, shorter days of Fall. Got any more seed?? If not, I've got some to share w/ you. Good luck!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

WOW. Bok Choy? cool dogs. I will wait and cut it Monday to take to a friend in Amarillo Tuesday that I grew it for. Maybe he will let me have a taste. Should I forego the soapy water spray???

Are there any Asian veggies that like the heat of summer in my locale?

Thanks Larry!

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Summer Asian veggies?? Y E S..... Fuzzy melon (squash-like), Cee Gwa (Luffa ),
Doan Gwa (winter melon---looks like watermelon but is a squash, for soups mainly).
DELICIOUS & NUTRITIOUS Amaranth greens!!!! They LOVE heat!! Spinach-like.
Larry

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Goodness.... if they taste as good as the bok choy does (had a taste of a raw leaf, very mild, nice flavor), I would want to grow them all. I will work more into my garden plan next year.

It was definitely about to go to seed, what I thought was the cabbage head starting, was the seed head. I left it and broke off the leaves. Will it still produce viable seed? I would want to use my own seed, since this little big guy survived unusual weather, bunnies, and leafminers (thanks to the ladybugs, hoverflies, wasps, and crab spiders).

I have some seed that I purchased, but didn't know about growing it here, thinking maybe fall??? Tat Soi is one. Will let you know when I think of (or find) the other. I have Luffa seeds I got from a DG member, is that the same? Doan Gwa would interest me as well. My long term dream is to have an underground solar greenhouse, made of cinderblocks, so I can have a more stable climate for the more delicate veggies.

Need to email melvatoo so she can see this...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

You probably can't appreciate the number of leaves in those bowls, since I have them turned so the stalks are wet. Cooking these wasn't in my schedule today, anyone have recipes?

In this picture, you can see my almost seven yr old son proud of my harvest. He is just a ham actually :) He is the size of a ten yr old, so that gives you an idea of the leaf size...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Tamara... Seeds from the stalk?? dunno, never tried. No harm in leaving it to see.
Luffa>> the fruit must be picked young to be tender. It's best to start it indoors 3-4 weeks before your consistently warm weather sets in. It likes fertile soil (compost or manure) & moisture. Makes A LONG vine. There are two types, I don't know which type you have. One gives fruit like zucchini and the other's fruit looks like a * l o n g * okra with definite ridges. Tat soi-- never grew it myself, but know it is a flat circle of smallish spoon-shaped cabbage leaves. Try it for cool weather this Fall. I prefer BokChoy---A good variety is JoiChoi. Also, Mei Qing Choi is very reliable. Choi Sum is good! There are MANY others.
Cooking your beautiful BokChoy-- roughly chop into bite size chunks, ( kinda like you would for the Romaine in a Caesar salad) ; boil in chicken broth for 2-3 mins, salt to taste, and eat "as is".... OR... boil in water 2--3 minutes, then stir-fry in a little oil, salt, and finely diced garlic. We eat it often. YUMMMM & nutritious!!
LD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Melvatoo~
I put it in large bowls and a pitcher filled wqith ice water, and made room in the extra fridge. So it should keep till I do something with it. If the neighbors I offered some to tell the other neighbors, I may do good to keep some for myself!

Thanks for the seeds, I will definitely be growing these in the fall!

LD~ Thanks for such a simple recipe! It is good raw too it seems, and the nieghbors like it in soups. I found several soup recipes in the Recipe Forum. I will save those for the fall, when I have garden fresh ingredients, yummmm. Meanwhile, your suggestion should do the trick! If I find the luffa seed, I will send you a picture of them, and you can tell me what kind. They are the type you grow for the sponge, I didn't know you could eat them LOL

Here it is stored in ice water (the fridge is only 50 degrees or so...) Tha is a bowl of arugula below it that I also picked young today...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

TamFa..... So yours are the Luffa sponge type, I see. Yes, they are edible--when young. For scrubbing sponges, let them fully mature on the vine. Did you know that during WWII these 'sponges' were also used as oil filters in some military vehicles?
Many Uses of the BokChoy--- yes, very good in soups, and simple! Good raw in salads..yes. Very versatile veggie!
LD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.