A Vine which would look fitting in an Oriental Garden?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

This is my nextdoor neighbor's yard. He has an Oriental theme going and goes for texture as opposed to bright flowers. He asked for a suggestion of a vine.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

The vine would grow on the copper trellis against the fence.

Any suggestions?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi TLC...Good to see you! My JMG seeds are sprouting away!
I am just getting into Clematis, I think some of them have a very oriental look that would be nice on that trellis...I will have to look later and see which ones I had in mind! Pretty yard!
Margie

How long did they take to germinate? I just started mine last week.

I am going to see if I can find my clematis catalog. Thanjks for the idea.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

TLC...check out this site for clematis...http://shop.store.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/hakuree.html

Here is one like I was thinking about...
From Chalk Hill site...

Thumbnail by picturelady
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Wisteria comes to mind, but that is almost too obvious. I can think of some others like Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Passifloras, Telosma cordata, Thunbergia mysorensis, but those would have to be grown in a container and brought in in the wintertime or treated as annuals.

Moonflowers are excellent too and can be started each year from seed. My moonflowers are perennials here and have just started blooming again. Here is a picture from last year.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Climbing hydrangea originated in Japan so that would fit right in.
Clematis, coming from the orient, would also fit his theme.

What great ideas! Thank you all; when he makes a decision and gets it growing, I post a pic.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

TLC...sorry I didn't answer your question about the JMG...I pre-sprouted them and some are being slow...but most started to sprout within a few days or a week or so...I started them 5/12...so yes, most less then a week and the ones planted are up about 1" already!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Wisteria will so overgrow the given trellis.. but the flowers are so short lived it's about texture and form... and the thick vines you'd get after hackig it back to stay with in your trellis would give great winter iterest.. as does the bent braches of the hacked up evergreen by the corner of his building.
Passaflora has nice leaf sructure.. some of the japaneese morning glorys perhaps...
Honeysuckle leaves heavy wood through the witer .. forms nicely.. and has smaller flowers.. I'm particularly anamored by my red one.. and a lovely fragerance.. Gordon

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

.... and don't forget you can put clematis among your other vines or even wisteria for longer time blooms! I just learned that from a new book I got on clematis !!! Margie

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Arlene, most of the vines listed above, would they be hardy to your zone? Most passifloras wouldn't survive your zone. It seems like wisteria would just overwhelm that trellis. I like the idea of a climbing hydrangea but better check the hardiness again. I am sure their would be some clematis that would work too. I have a clematis similar to picturelady's except it is a blue/purple. I also have a clematis that is a yellow like bell, tanguica or something like that I believe. I grow a vine here called akebia quinata, it is a pretty little thing. The bloom isn't anything spectacular but the leaves are small and in groups of five. It is a pretty vigorous grower.

Also in your first picture, I see a river?

I would put a pretty brown half barrel there and stick the trellis inside and grow something there as an annual. Or he can grow wisteria there, but the others are right that it would have to be pruned in the winter. The white japanese wisteria, Wisteria floribunda, stays particularly small. Here is mine that I've had for three years now. I've never had to prune it yet.

Ask your neighbor what color he would like there. He could try different vines, treated as annuals, there to see what color he prefers.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

TwinLakeschef, tell your neighour he has an awesome yard! Where's pictures of yours?? I think Clare's picture of her white wisteria would fit in perfectly in his oriental theme.
:) Donna

Thanks, Donna! I agree!

PGirl,

When I first joined Daves we were taking on a big project; we tore down the free standing garage and removed all the cement driveway

Before Pictures start on Oct 7, 2002 12:29 PM

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/363801/

Here are the results 1 1/2 years later:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/388636/

Here is what we did at our house in CA last year.
You can tell by the first pic I was never a gardener. It was all shrubs!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/405132/

Lenjo,

The picture is a dry stream with a bridge over it.

Oh, gotcha . . you mean in the background! We live on Twin Lakes out in the country in Iowa. LOL

River? had me goin!

Oh, and Lenjo,
Yes he would want a perennial. I do think there may be a perennial climbing hydrangea and the White Chinese Wisteria Alba is hearty to here. But all I could find for sale were seeds on E-Bay and I doubt he would want to wait that long.

Asking a harmless question for a neighbor has got me in trouble. Now I"M wanting to use all these wonderful ideas and plants you have mentioned. I just spent an hour googling so I could "google" at them!

My neighbor was overwhelmed with the amount of replies you gave. He says thank-you. And when he gets something growing there I'll come back and post pic to share with you all.

Many thanks from both of us. You all are the best people on the planet!

regards

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Arlene what an amazing transformation! Both places look fantastic!! Luv the brugs and the head! I want one to...lol!! It must be awesome to sit on the deck and look at the sunsets.
:) Donna

Thank you, Donna!

There are good things about gardening in both places. How is your "PowderPuff" coming along?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

:( sniff, sniff

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

japanese morning glory!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.