moonflower vine

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Almost one full month ago, I got a moonflower seedling in a trade. It hasn't grown one single bit. It has 4 leaves (could be six, it's late, and I'm guessing) and it's maybe 3" high!! I got the ground all ready for it, and have fed it, it gets mostly sun and we've had plenty of rain. I had plans for it to grow up that fence it's by, but it's not budging. Any clues????

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

tiG I've been told that moonflower vine doesn't like to be transplanted. They take a long time to come into flower too so they need to be started early. The best way is to grow them in a large container. I started some seeds in a brown paper bag but have yet to plant them in the ground. Tomorrow! Maybe your plant will snap out of it's shock and grow with all the warm weather. You could always sow some morning glory seeds next to it and if the moonflower doesn't wake up the MGs will cover your trellis.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I do have those blue morning glory seedlings. I think I'll do that! thanks:)

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

Moonflowers have been a big part of my life this summer! I've tried just about every method to determine the best way to get them started. And I have had every kind of diverse performance for the seeds. They can be slow starters, but, once they get going, they grow like wild. I noticed that one of mine grew three inches between noon and sundown today!

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I started my moonflowers inside, they grew great, after I planted them in front of my arbor...they stopped growing for the longest time. Seemed like 6 weeks or more with nothing. I was ready to give up on them. Then all of a sudded about a week or so ago they started coming around and now are reaching the top of the arbor. Give them a bit more time, perhaps they'll come around.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.