winterkill?daphne mezereum

Marshfield, VT(Zone 4a)

I lost daphne ranging in age from 15+ yrs to maybe 2yrs. All told, probably 20. In different microclimates, sun, etc. They were seedlings from a single plant I found in the woods years ago.

Anybody know about daphne, disease? winter? (Glad I gave so many away. I will replace a few. They formed a small 'hedge in front of some lilacs and stone wall.)

Thanks,
Jean

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Since no one else seems to want to jump into this one, I will (hate to leave an orphan post just hanging there, all lonely and forlorn). But I probably know less than you do about them. I presume you're sure they're Daphne. We have killed a few here, and concluded that they are among the most picky of woody plants regarding the planting site. They do fine for a year or two, then they just melt away almost overnight like they have some vascular wilt or root rot. Whatever they require, we ain't got it! But you seem to have been successful until now, so I'd ask your local extension office if there has been a known Daphne problem found in your area recently.

Guy S.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I have grown D. mezereum for years with no problems. I'm zone 5b so not as cold as you. However, my brother in Calgary, Alberta has three which I gave him about 8 years ago. He is in zone 3b. He does loose the top 4-8 inches of growth each year due to cold winter temps but the base of the plants always flush back out. The result, his plants are broad but under 2 feet tall while mine reach 4 feet. I have always been impressed with Daphne for their LACK of diseases and insects. I now have 9 different species/hybrids of Daphne and all do well. I can't imagine why all your died, even the small ones. If they were under any snow at all, that portion should have survived the winter. perhaps you do have a fungal disease that centers on Daphne. Thankfully, it seems to be absent here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.