Valeriana officinalis

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Garden Heliotrope, All Heal and Valerian are all names for this aromatic herb. I've been growing it for many years in the back of one of my borders. The blooms shoot up to about 3 to 4' tall this time of the year and are nice when there is not a lot of others things in bloom. After blooming, the flowering stalk can be cut down and the foliage stays nice looking all summer and only about 15" tall. I love the somewhat vanilla-like smell of these in the evening. Not a spectacular lookng plant, but one that I will always have a few of.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Is it called self heal to??

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree with you. This is a plant I'll always have in my garden as well. I was surprised how pleasant the blooms smell considering how nasty the roots smell. I think this plant is 2 yrs old and is easily 4' tall. Must be all of that nice compost I mixed in earlier this year.

Thumbnail by emilyrasmus
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think it is also called selfheal Hope.

Susan

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Susan thanks... very lovely plant.. blessings Twyla

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan I have a big clump that is waiting to bloom any day. They are so fragrant I can't wait. George

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've never known it to be called selfheal, that's neat, I have one big plant of the valarian, it has never multiplied, I can't figure out why, all th e other herbs spread by seed all over the place, but not this creature. wonder why

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mine does reseed a little. You can also divide your clumps.

Susan

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Susan, does the plant itself stay small? I just planted some and now I am thinking it may need a bigger space. How wide does it get?
Mobi

This message was edited May 24, 2005 11:47 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It doesn't get real big. Maybe 15"X15" over a few years time. Spreads outward slowly.

Susan

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Great! Then I won't have to move it. Thanks
Mobi

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I just put in two of these that I got from a friend, nice to know more about it's growing habits. I understand the leaves are used to make tea, like chamomile, but I'll take Lipton's thank you! I'm delighted to have fragrant flowers, so many are just pretty faces.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.