What would you suggest for a good book on clematis....

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

This would be my first book on clematis...I am just getting started after buying my first 4 plants this week....I HAVE to have a good book on care & photos of course. I saw a new one on the Amer. Clematis site..."Simply Clematis" Has anyone seen it, would you recommend it? Also heard about "Gardening with Clematis" and "Clematis with Everything" and "Encyclopedia of Clematis". I would like ideas of where to plant her too if a book would contain this and not just photos and descriptions that I can find on-line!
Thank you, Margie

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis is the best one. I love it. It was written in the UK, but is still good.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

The author of that book is going to be at Chalk Hill Clematis nursery this WE...I have another committement but I would love to go to it.

This message was edited May 22, 2005 7:09 AM

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

For anyone nearby who is interested:

May 22, (Sunday) at 1pm.
MARY TOOMEY - "Mary's Top Picks" - Mary will talk (and show slides) about her favorite clematis and why they are her favorites. Mary, a native of Sri Lanka, has created the Sri Lanka Childerns Orphanage in response to the Tsunami Disaster that has left so many children without homes and family. All proceeds from the lecture will go to the Orphanage.

Cost $15.00 ( includes coffee, tea and pastries).
E-mail farmmgr@chalkhillclematis.com or call 707-433-8416 to reserve a space.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I went to the bookstore to get the Encyclopedia...but they did not have it...so I got another book on Clematis...it is really beautiful, called "Clematis, Inspiration, selection and practical guidance" by Charles Chesshire

I have added it to the bookwatch list....http://davesgarden.com/gbw/c/1766/

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

My copy of An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis arrived today. The bookstores were out of it, so I ordered it through Amazon market place. I was thinking it was second hand. But when it arrived today it is brand new! So I am very, very pleased!

Did I tell you that I love books! Not only photos in this book are wonderful, but lots of descriptions and instructions and general history and knowledge on clematis! It looks great!

Thank you calalily for the recommendation! I know how I am going to spend hours this week-end!

Margie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.