What is going on with my squash plants?

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

The leaves are turning white. They did have powdery mildew. However, I have sprayed them twice (one week apart) and they are still white.

Thumbnail by foolcontrol
Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Another picture

Thumbnail by foolcontrol
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

What did you spray them with? Usual fungicides like baking soda, copper sulphate etc will stop the spread of the disease, but will not rescue seriously infested leaves.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I sprayed something from Ortho that is supposed to cure about 120 different types of plant and vegetable diseases. I just got some organic fungiside yesterday. I sprayed it last night and will monitor the results over the next few days.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I have not seen any Powdery Mildew yet here but put on Copper soapshield from Gardens Alive as a preventative. Ill let you know if it protects them or not. If the leaves are too bad get rid of them so they dont spread spoors to the healthy ones. Also there are about 30 solutions for this problem Everything from a light spray of milk to some baking soda water to some compost tea. Just do a search here in DG and you will find a dozen remidies.

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I second that advice... and they also need a kelp feeding to help overcome the stress of fighting the disease.

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I have not used kelp before, do I get it at the nursery or an oriental grocery store. I have konbu and nori in the pantry.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I use the product from Gardens Alive although you can get it from Lowes... It is a foliar fertilizer.

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Here is a link to their site, you can get $25 free (you pay shipping). I have heard great testimonials about their natural fungicides...

www.gardensalive.com

I purchased Ormstrom's Kelp Extract (concentrated) from the local greenhouse for about $10 for a pint or so. Started using it in Januar, and not out yet, one capful to a gallon of water, then for foliar spray dilute again 1:3. Lasts a long time, doesn't smell bad.

Tamara

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I will pick some up today at the nursery down the street.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hope it helps!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.