Row covers already!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Had to do it. I went to inspect my little guys and there were littler guys on them, some even had a couple of holes! This is my first year raising my own babies so on it went. They are all brassica's and also eggplants.

Silly me, I thought you just put the cover over the plants and threw in a few earth staples. Wrong. As most of you know I had to bury the entire perimeter under 2 inches of dirt, for all 3 beds! duh. Like the insects were just going to ignore all the openings if it wasn't buried

The cover's with hoops are just gentler on the plants? or are there any other benefits? I did leave lot's of leeway for growth.

Nothing munching the tomatoes....yet

-Kim

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Eggplants are candy for bugs... I gotta get mine on as well though the WOWs I have on mine seem to be doing a fairly good job of cornusin the bugs and they have not found them so far...

Drew

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

You could let deadly nightshade grow nearby ( if you dare) It is a great trap crop for the beatles to lay their eggs. When they hatch and feed on the plant, they DIE.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

i'm amazed at the different we gardeners face in our different states. here in upstate new york i rarely get any kind of bugs. once in a great while i have to spary stuff on my egg plants but thats it. my problem is keeping deer out. i have to put a 7 ft. fence around the garden to keep them out. still all in all, i rather take the deer than all those creepy things.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I am with you Herbie! and I already have the fence so I would have it made. Maybe I was too early and when everyone else gets their plants out they will go somewhere else:)?

I am thinking I should put up the cages and wrap them in row cover buried at the bottom and tied at the top. I think I just came up with a new invention!!

-Kim

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Kim, that is a great idea! Do it!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.