What would you suggest for a clematis to go near this rose?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

....I really like the Pistashio clematis...although a white with maroon sepals would be really nice too! Can you suggest a clematis that would go well growing near this rose? On the other side is a light pink climbing cecile brunner rose...
Thank-you, Margie

Thumbnail by picturelady
San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Well...I spent the day making my decisions...on-line at Garden Crossings! I got 'Sunset', 'Snow Queen' and 'The President'...I want the three to eventually to intermingle...I like that look!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The Clematis you chose are wonderful ones in my opinion..just make sure you give them plenty of room..a mature clematis can grow anywhere from 6 to 15 feet tall and 5 feet wide....Jeanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful Rose! The three Clematis you just purchased will look beautiful twining up the branches of this Rose. The nice thing about combining Roses & Clematis is that they both love the same fertilizer, sun lovers, the Rose shades the Clematis' roots, plus acting like a trellis for the Clems to climb up! It's a winning combination!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Make sure the three clematises you want to intermingle have the same pruning requirements or you're giving yourself a headache.

I made the mistake of growing a clematis ON (not near) a rose and the clematis grew much taller than the rose so I had to move it. Jeanne is right: allow plenty of room for them to grow. Of course, the ones you want to take over a spot won't and vice versa. That's the joy of gardening, I think?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirley..all those Clems you mentioned are pruning group 2..I want you to keep this site for referencing in your favorite places..You will see at the bottom Clematis A-Z..just click on that and the first letter of the name of the Clematis and most have a pic and pruning group etc..
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeanne: I think you meant Margie, but that's okay. I refer to Clematis on the Web frequently. It's an execellent website and definitely needs to be bookmarked!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.