Secret Hosta Trade - Whadja Get?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

When your hosta arrives, please let us know what you got. Pictures would be a big plus. I can't wait!

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

You wont be waiting long. Mine went out this morning! I hope they like it. The Hosta I sent has been my favorite hosta this year. So I sent one just like it to my Secret partner. lol

Cathy

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Ahhh shucks! Looks like I missed out on this one. Boo hoo! ;~(

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I will be mailing mine to a northern destination. I took my Dad to the doctor yesterday, so I didn't get anything dug. Lots of chores today, but going to town tomorrow.
I will be adding a little extra surprize in the box. LMK when it arrives.
Teresa

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

It may be this weekend before I can take care of my trade. If I can't get it mailed by tomorrow, I will wait until Monday. Don't want something just sitting at the post office over the weekend. :-)

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

My package will be mailed to my secret partner on Monday as I don't want it sitting around in the post office this weekend.

Dee

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Monday will be fine for everyone.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

What a relief that many of you are waiting for Monday. I've been swamped. I could get it in the mail tomorrow, but was concerned about it sitting in the post office over the weekend. Our little bitty rural post office seems to need one extra step to get anything out of the region. Mine secret will be sent out on Monday. I can hardly wait for my surprise!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

TC, save me a piece of that Redneck Heaven and Ill send ya something , : )

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sorry, TC that you missed out. Does anyone know how many made the deadline?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

There were a couple of people who didn't make the deadline, but 21 people did. This definitely does not have to be the only secret hosta trade. If this goes well, maybe some people might be up for a secret mini hosta trade. I know that I got my Blue Mouse Ears in the one I was in last year.

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

I dont mind hosting a mini trade after this one is completed!

Cathy

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Yipee!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I just got my totally awesome care package from Cathy!

She sent one I read about recently - a large-lleaved variety, Olive Bailey Langdon. In fact, I was going to put it on my wish list that I didn't get posted! The leaves have excellent substance, puckering (which I love), gold rim and bluish-green center. Looks like a beauty. The net says it is an improved Frances Williams.

There's a small one without a name tag, a chartreuse-green. Help, Cathy, who is this little hosta critter?

And thank you so, so very much for the start of the "Ursula's Red" Jap. Painted fern (Athyrium Japonicum). I had read about this one before. Apparently it is marvelous and very different than the species, with a brilliant contrast of white/silver and red/maroon. I will grow this one out in a pot, work toward division later.

And finally, Cathy sent me a nice, healthy hellebore. I can never have too many of these, queen of the shade/hosta companion plants and wonder of the long winter-spring season. I will have no trouble finding a spot for this "lenten rose".

I am always amazed at the generosity of DG-ers, especially in trades. Maybe it is like alcoholics passing around the bottle! Or opium-smokers, the pipe!

Yahoo!

Peter

P.S. I discovered that the little guy is Galaxy. Thanks again to Cathy for another I do not know, and can't get near home!

This message was edited May 19, 2005 1:54 PM

This message was edited May 19, 2005 2:34 PM

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

There needs to be another later, my hostas are barely breaking ground here. I wanted to play too!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

There will be. Cathy said she's willing to host a mini hosta trade. Interested?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm willing to do a mini hosta trade.

Arlene

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll do the mini trade.

Peter

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my box is on its way :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I haven't sent out mine yet because I'm still waiting for everyone who hasn't posted their wish list to do so. I want to make sure my secret trade is going to be a happy camper. With the long weekend coming up for us, I will mail it out on Tuesday so that it won't sit in the post office.
:) Donna

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

my box was sent out yesterday.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Donna,
Why do you get a long weekend? :-)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It is called Victoria Day for the Queen Mother.
:) Donna

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Mailed mine today too.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Donna, if you don't see a wish list, assume your tradee could use about anything you wish to send. I don't know this for a fact, and Tuesday will be a great day to send them.

Have a Happy Victoria Day!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Happy Victoria Day, Donna!

p.s. I still would LOVE to see pictures of your gardens. It is always seems so lush and green in Canada.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I mailed mine today. Headed an Easterly direction from here, could be a little North too, but then again, who knows which way the PO will direct that pkg. Hee hee

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

I will mail on Tuesday,, as I'm going away for the weekend and I'm leaving tomorrow !! yahooo I'm going to a close garden buds house, she grows most all my annuals and veggies, I have so much I had to rent a mini van !! I have to see if Secret Hosta Trade person has a list so I dont send them the same as they have,,, hee hee this is fun,,

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Will sent mine out Monday also, I am going away this weekend also and really don't have time to dig and send out.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I had the most wonderful experience today. Ed (Bentleygardens) sent me his address the day after I had sent out all the names to everyone (busy with landscaping jobs). Anyway, I didn't want to leave him out, knowing how much he loves hostas. I made an "executive decision" for us to trade with each other, especially since Bentley Gardens is about 15 minutes from where I work and we could trade in person. Now, I've bought from Ed before and found him to be a most generous person from the get-go. In fact, the first time I was buying plants from him I remarked that I once had an Immortality iris and I thought it was so strange that it died on me. He immediately picked up one of his Immortalities and told me no one should be without one, and he just gave it to me! (I love that iris.) All that to say, I had the best time seeing the grounds of Bentley Gardens, and spending time with Ed and Pam (who's really getting in to daylilies). Both great folks. I gave him my plants, and in trade he gave me Diamond Tiara, Lakeside Looking Glass, and Lakeside Kaleidoscope. I am so thrilled!

Thanks, Ed!

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Carmen, it was a rainy experience thats for sure......I recieved from Carmen 2 brugmansias, and a H.'Reptilian', and H. 'Fair Maiden', all welcome additions to the display garden. Thanks Carmen you were most generous

Ed

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I received my trade today and of all days it is my birthday....yippee.....I got Wide Brim, Fried Bananas,a Varigated and also Frosty Morn Sedum...a great birthday present...Thanks Teresa.......

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I hope you had a very Happy Birthday, bluepoppy! Your hostas and sedum sound wonderful!

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

I got my trade today. I think I have the best trade partner ever! I got Spilt Milk, Night Before Christmas, Regal Splendor, June, and Sagae. I think my trade partner must be a true hosta queen to have all those great varieties. They all arrived in great shape and already have a nice home in my garden!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Robin, it's okay to tell us who your trade partner was. Come on, who was it? [As if I didn't know.lol]

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well I got my box yesterday from my secret trader and she sent me 1 Hosta and it is:

Geisha

But the best part is the box was from Notmartha/Dori!

Now there was a time that we did a Daylily Secret Trade and I got Dori's name and I about died because she has evey Daylily known to mankind! Well this time she was put on the spot when she got my name for the Hosta secret trade! LOL

Clever girl that she is, she sent me TON'S of other goodies along with the Hosta! So here is what else was in my surprise box!!!!!!!

Rattlesnake Pole Bean
Dappled Willow
Creeping Baby Breath
Dwarf Columbine (2) purple/white
Tri Color Sedum
Medico Sedum ?
Hardy Geranium/Johnson Blue
Black Currant Bush
Veronica/white
Blue Plant??????

Daylily......5 different kind!!!!!!!
Wine delight
Siloam Tee Tiny
Christmas Carol
Siloam Dream Baby
Don Stevens

Cerus Cactus/night blooming (houseplant)

Thank You Dori, I am thrilled that you shared part of your garden with me. Now I have to figure out where
to plant this GARDEN IN A BOX SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

sue

This message was edited May 22, 2005 8:29 AM

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

my hosta trader sent me a box full of goodies,, I was so happy,, I went away over the weekend and just got home today,, I was worried as I was not sure how hot it was but let me tell you HOSTANQUILTS (Janice) packed them perfect,, she sent me a box full I mean full of goodies !! thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you vthank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

I got
GAY BLADE
SHADE FANFARE
TOKUDAMA AUREONEBULOSA
STORMY DANCE
HONEY BELLS
TWIST OF LIME
FIRST STRIKE

thank you !!!!
my trade goes out tuesday,, its headed south,,

cheryle

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

sue Im glad they all made it and that you like them-I was in a panic when I got your name! :)

you have sent me such nice boxes over the past 4yrs! I thank you!

Happy gardening!

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Cheryl,
I'm glad they made it safely & survived the heat. I tried to send a combination of small, med & lg., also some new & some oldies.
Jan

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I received a great box on Saturday from Robin (Thripmaster). Thank you so very much for the Golden Tiara and the Night Before Christmas. She also sent along a ginger lily, some artemisia and a white achillea along with a packets of perennial seeds and some Messenger plant growth promoter.

My box went out a few hours ago....heading east. I was so excited about being in my first hosta exchange that I didn't stop to realize that it would difficult to find something in my garden big enough to divide that was named. I completely re-landscaped everything 3 years ago and in the process lost all names. I also split everything up as much as I could to make it go farther, and I'm still waiting for them to grow into themselves. I've bought hostas since then, but of course they're not very big either. And then, many of them got their leaves 'nipped' when we had our May snows. I hope that my recipient will like what's coming.....I know that I certainly am thrilled.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.