Brassica Bandit

(Zone 2b)

Last night, something or another decided to nip off all the leaves on all my Brassica family seedlings - cabbages, cauliflowers, etc. The seedlings were in a box on the deck, hardening off before being transplanted into the garden. Needless to say, there will be no transplanting for them now. The funny thing is, none of the other seedlings in the box were touched. Assorted herbs, tomatoes, peppers, artichokes - not a leaf was disturbed. Only the Brassica family.

My best guess is that it was a mouse - so a trap will be going out tonight, baited with a piece of cabbage :) My question is: has this ever happened to anyone else? My mother says she can't remember it ever happening before and she has been growing cabbages for years.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Very Strange...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Wish I had seen this earlier....I hope you didn't toss the seedlings...sometimes after being badly ripped that way a few will put out new leaves and go on to grow. Worth giving them a chance.

(Zone 2b)

None survived. But the second round of seedlings have emerged in the garden now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.