rusted tin cans

Olympia, WA

i found some cute 3-5? gallon tin buckets that i would love to plant in. however, the inside is rusted. will the rust affect the plants? or should i paint it over with something?
thanks
q

Santa Barbara, CA

The iron rust is unlikely to be a problem to the plants. The rusting will accelerate with plants so you may find the containers falling apart after a short time if the metal is thin or already mostly oxidized.

If you paint, be sure to ask for a non-toxic paint.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Some plants even like the rust. I know my Grandmother grew the most wonderful African Violets in rusty coffee cans.
Brings back such pleasant memories of a wonderful woman.
:)

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

you could always leave the plant in a pot that would fit snugly inside the can if you're worried about the rust.

lil

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

I have an old coal bucket that I plant begonia's in and the poor thing is falling apart from rust, so I've been doing what Lilith suggested and it works fine, and I still have the effect of the old pot.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

you could always line it with polythene too, that would work, just as long as you put some drainage holes in. i think the coal bucket would look quite attractive falling apart like that, just make sure you get a pot close to the colour of the container as you may see it through the holes, lol

lil

i like the idea of lining the pots etc...wooden ones as well just to make them last longer...you still get the same effect as your secret is hidden inside...
good ideas friends...
mummy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.