Pickle Juice in Hydrangea???

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

I am finally getting around to planting my two Endless Summer Hyndrangea. During a visit to my favorite nurserytree farm, my favorite nursery woman (everything is my favorite after a visit to the nurery -- no need for Zoloft here LOL) recommended pickle juice to enhancemaintaining the lovely blue color. Has anyone heard of this before or should I stick with the standard aluminum sulphatesulphate of iron solution?

I know it is a bit off topic, but I am so excited I just have to share: I found double Knock Out roses at the nursery. I looked for them everywhere on-line and at every other local nursery. I never thought I'd find them were I did, since they are better known for woody shrubs and trees. Will post results for those interested at the end of the season. The canes look a bit less than sturdy, but the leaves and buds are plentiful and clean. :-)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Irishbell,

Pickle juice also has a lot of salt too. You could be pickling your hydrangeas. Endless Summer hydrangeas are so expensive that I would stick to the recommended Aluminum Sulfate. Try the pickle juice on a cheap hydrangea if you must.

Are Knock Out roses a type of rose? Here in Texas we have the Superstars which means that they are able to thrive in our horrid weather. I've fallen in love with the David Austin Roses and have about 12 of them. There are 2 antique rose nurseries nearby so I have some Bourbon and Noisette roses plus a few the outstanding Hybrid Teas.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I know vinegar is supposed to be a good cheap herbicide. I tried it last year on some ferns that are rapidly taking over my entire garden- the ferns are back this year.

Washingtonville, NY(Zone 6a)

Pickle juice is mostly vinegar. It shouldn't be strong enough to harm the plants but most commercial pickles are loaded with preservatives and artificial colors. I don't know if I'd really want to add that brew to my landscape, but then, I'm organic.

The best thing to do is to get a soil test kit and see how acid your soil is without treatment. Since about 85% of New York state has acid soil, unless you are in the outwash of the 'Gunks, you might not need to do anything.

BTW, how's your mom & job?

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much for the input. I am just "up the hill" from Washingtonville off of 208. Susan at Manza Farms recommended the pickle juice.

I really admire the effort it must take to be organic. There is an interesting post somewhere from Monroe where someone is contemplating starting an organic farm in the black dirt area of Florida. It is such a challenge to garden lately. With all of the new construction the deer problem is at an unprecedented level in my immediate area. The house belonged to my parents before I purchased it. Beautiful azalea and rhododendron which were untouched for at least 15 years have been devastated over the last few.

I appreciate your concern about the job-Mom situation. We have been informed that the transition is in the planning stages and no further information will be available until September. We have also been told that "while this is not a headcount reduction or cost savings exercise, the realignment may reveal some redundancies." So, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat until then. Mom has to go for a few more tests, but it looks to be cystic. I really appreciate everyone's support and prayers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.