Lapageria rosea blooming again

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

Last year right after I got this plant in its little 4-inch pot it set one nice bud. This year the plant actually set five, but one fell off--so it has four buds in various stages of development.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! I think I have only one seed that I was given that sprouted. Is it a slow grower?
:) Donna

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, wow! I have these seends and didn't plant any - had to stop somewhere, ya know? Think it's too late for me to try a seed or two for this year?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I was told that you have a better chance of these sprouting if the seeds are fresh. A plant friend sent me quite a few and I only have one or two for sure that made it.

I'm not sure if your seeds are fresh or not but go for it! You never know unless you try.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Should they be scored and soaked?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm trying to remember what I was told to do. Don't score them I don't think. I didn't with mine because they were fresh. I did soak them first. I remember something about bottom heat and sand in the soil. The email I had gotten from him is on another computer. I'll try to see if I can find it.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And can you believe - I went right into my file box, looked under the letter "L", and there they were - ahhhh! Life is good!

The seeds are in a hermetically sealed envelope, so I'll bet they are viable! Whoo-Hoo!

Thanks Donna! You, too, Ron - for that wonderful photo! Can't wait to see more as the buds progress!

The seed should be extremely fresh. Plant them in an acid potting soil (Rhodie or Azalea mix). Put them in the fridge and monitor them. When you see the first hint of germination take them out.

They grow easy if they are given the right conditions. They actually do better in San Francisco and further north than where I am. They like it cool and shady. I have mine quite shaded.

-Ron-

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Excellent! If I am lucky enough to get them started, I have the perfect spot for them!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I wonder if that is why the rest of mine didn't germinate. I wasn't told about starting them in the fridge.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It is relly pretty. Cindy

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

So beautiful. I'm afraid it's way too hot for them here.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Your photo and blossom are really beautiful ! I have never seen this plant before. Are the seeds or plants hard to get? I will have to do a google search!
I love it...Margie

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I recieved some seeds a while ago,I followed all the directions.....
and was doing a happy dance when 1 germinated.......

but it ended up being a passiflora.....

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I still have 3 seeds remaining of those that were sent to me. Would like them?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

sequee...I would love them or one or two if you were talking to me...? or if it was CC, if she doesn't want them!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Margie, they are yours! I just hope 3 will be enough to get you going!

I got your address off the exchange. Will mail them pit this evening!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much sequee...I will watch for them...any hint on growing them? I will check other sources also for instructions.
Margie

This message was edited May 16, 2005 10:59 AM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Just what's listed above. I have mine soaking as we speak, and will start the "cold treatment" when I get home! One good note, the seeds did not float to the top of the water, so that's a good sign they are viable!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Margie - Check you rail ~:-)

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

This is a link to the page of a Dutch gardener that successfully grows Copihues (Lapageria rosea):

http://members.home.nl/hanninkj/lap_eng.htm

There is also a nursery in California that has successfully grown them and used to have a page with indications on how to propagate Copihues.

DGardeners that join our RU in Chile (Oct/Nov 2005) will visit the El Vergel nursery (belongs to the Methodist Church), that is renowned for the beautiful hybrids they obtaied. And yes, it will be right the time for them to bloom (their collection of Camellias as well). So, if you are coming to the RU and want to take one (or more) of these beauties back to the States, make sure to take all the necessary steps your government requires (phitosanitary certificates, etc).

Did I mention this is Chile's National Flower?

Hugs,

Ursula

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Ursula...thank you for your link on seed growing and care. It sounds like from the little bit of reading I did on it, that it is not an easy thing to do. But I will try! I will check for a nursery in CA too that has it.
Margie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Gee - I just read my last note to you, Margie! LOL! So glad you figured out the clues I left!

Thanks for the link Ursula - certainly doesn't leave me very optimistic!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I am good at figuring out clues sequee....

Ron, Where did you get your plant from? I will be in Rocklin the 27th for a daylily convention. I thought there might be some chance you got it near there since I think you live fairly close?!
Margie

Margie,

I got this particular plant (along with another) online from Hortus Botanicus. When I received them, they were in excellent condition and the best packaging I had ever seen for plants. I highly recommend them.

-Ron-

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Margie, did you read this article (link supplied by the above web page): http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/articlelapageria/fosterarticle.html

Sequee, you would have to grow your plants in a conservatory or something similar. Copihues are native to cold rain forests, where they do not get snow and frost.

Good luck!

Ursula

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Ron...it looks like a really nice site with loads of clematis too....just what I was looking for.

Margie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Margie, your seeds are being held up a tad. Sprained ankle, 2 torn tendons and a severely bruised shin bone are conspiring to keep me off my feet!

Ron - I'm assuming the cold treatment for the seeds would be in a sealed ziplock baggie?

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

sequee...I am so sorry to hear that you had an accident ! Please take care of yourself and give no thought to the seeds! There is really no hurry at all. I will find some other way to keep myself busy! Joke, joke...I am sure it will be with plants somehow...

Just get better quickly! Follow the doctors orders. How did it happen? My last accident was steppin off a ladder before I got to the last step. Luckily I was on rocks and did not do any injury besides some bruises. A 'soft' landing!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Tuesday night I was having bad stomach cramps, and rather than running up and down the stairs every time I thought I might have to go to the bathroom, I decided to curl up on the couch. Since it was the middle of the night, I didn't bother to pull out the glass coffee table. I fell back into a deep sleep, and when another spasm hit, I jumped up to use the bathroom. I hit into the glass coffee tabletop causing it to tilt. I was still off balance, but I tried to grab it before it fell into the TV or the side of the stone fireplace. Doing so I knocked over a chair which knocked over the fireplace equipment. Then I bashed my knee into the sharp corner of the fireplace. That caused me to fall over, landing on the fireplace tools. What a mess! The whole thing probably took mere moments, but it seemed to take forever... O0UCH!!! The bruised shin bone is swollen like an overstuffed pork sausage from about 2 inch below the knee down to my sprained ankle!...which looks like a red and purple football! Even my foot i black beneath each ankle. I understand that's a sign of the torn tendons. What fun! At least I will get caught up on my reading while I rest with elevated leg for the next 3 days!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

sequee....oh, it hurts me just reading about it! You will be very lucky if it is only 3 days that you have to elevate it! I have a feeling that you are going to get alot of reading done! Good time to catch up on old posts too on DG !!!

Take care, Margie

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you! I'm trying to be optimistic - my mini-vacation starts next Thursday, and I'm really hoping to make it!

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I found the nursery that grows Copihues in California:

http://www.hortusb.com/index.html

Their value seems quite reasonable to me - very close to what they cost here in Santiago nurseries (of course we save the postage & packing cost).

Hugs,

Ursula

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Ursula...Has anyone ordered from this co. before?

Margie

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Or maybe you want to make a Co-op:

http://www.termas.cl/copihue.html

I have no reference form these people.

Ursula

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oops - Due to recent Co-op problems. we're not to discuss them without clearing it with DG Admin. first.

None of my seeds have come up yet, but I'm still hopeful and run around the house doing the germination dance (as well as I can on one foot!). LOL - I want this BAD!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Good to see you sequee...I was wondering how you were doing ! Getting better I hope! Darn accidents!
A co-op did someone say???
Margie

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

I just supplied a link. I am not able to participate in any Co-op being in Chile.

Ursula

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Still hurts like heck, but it's definitely on the mend! I finally returned to work today, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected! I was glad, though, that my boss was off - I'm sure there would have been more than a few comments about my foot/leg on the desk - Oh, well, tomorrow is another day!

BTW, I just realized I was looking at the wrong seeds. These are in the frig, and shouldn't be up yet, so I have renewed hope!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

sequee...I was glad to hear you are up and about. I bet it still hurts. It hurts me when I even just read your post!

Good luck on your seeds!

Margie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.