What's eating my Scarlet Runner Beans?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Who's the wise guy that's making a buffet out of my Runner Bean seedlings? They just sprouted and already something has been chomping on them. In all honesty I'm growing the beans to cover a plain trellis so they're more decorative than for comsumption. I think I grew these many years ago and remember the leaves looked like Swiss cheese!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Toni

Thumbnail by toni5735
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

I dunno.... But it would help us all if your name included an aproximation of where you lived...

Drew

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Drew!

I live in Chicago. My city and state info has been disappearing on a regular basis since I joined. I have to re-enter it almost daily. Contacted Dave but no answer.

Toni

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's been less wet than usual this spring, but I often get damage from slugs that looks sorta like that.... If you put a board or rock down, the slugs will congregate under it and you'll know what you're dealing with then (also you can squish them). If it is slugs, I've had much better luck with slug bait ("Sluggo", "Escar-Go", etc) than with beer traps & the like.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh Critterologist...please don't say slugs. Squish them? I can't stand to be within 20 ft. of them! I mentioned it in another thread somewhere about my history with slugs when I moved into this house many years ago. Long story short...possum family moved in and really cleaned up the slug population. The "Possums" have since relocated to a better neighborhood!

Toni

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.