I didn't plant a purple clematis

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Can somebody please ID this clematis for me? I only planted Miss BAteman in this spot. Imagine my surprise when she turned out to be blue/purple!

Thumbnail by mickgene
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I dont know, but it sure is purty!!!!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I know! I probably would have picked it if I'd seen it in a catalog.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Mickgene ........Is it Alice Fisk?

http://www.homeofclematis.net/alice_fisk.html

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link deann. Alice is pretty, but she doesn't have "enough around the middle" LOL. Mine has a lot of purple "petallettes?" around a center of yellow stamens. Just finished with the PF and maybe think it's Multi-Blue? One of the pics looks very similar.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow that is one impressive clematis! You have a great camera. Can I ask what kind?
:) Donna

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

I think you are right! I'd guess Multi Blue, too!
http://www.homeofclematis.net/multiblue.html
JenG

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Mickgene,

I asked about my white clematis blooming a different color.

Now they are blooming white.

I'll try to post the link...ooops couldn't figure it out. How about an addy?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/503103/

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link, Sunshines. I just planted Henryi this spring. I hope it doesn't decide to morph into a Nellie Moser, which I already have. I want white blooms where I put it (not goldfish) LOL.

PerennialGirl, we just got this camera and love it. A Kodak DX6490. They sell it bundled with the photo printer (I think as a 7490) and, so far, haven't missed having the printer.

JenG, Since I haven't seen any others in my limited look so far that have a similar color combo, I think we may be right. Thanks for taking a look.

Michele

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Michele, you definitely don't have. C. Miss Bateman. It's looks like C. Multi-Blue to me also. Sometime at the nurseries, tags can get lost and another tag is inserted into the container. It happens! Enjoy your Multi-Blue, it's a beautiful Clematis.

C. Henryi is definitely a white one. Let me know if you don't get a Henryi. I'll try to root one for you. Mine has big fat buds and should be blooming any day now.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have it and it is Multi Blue. After the initial double blooms the future blooms may be singles.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Shirley,
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. Don't you love the anticipation from those fattening buds?

The funny thing about this is, a clematis has been in this spot for 5 years, It's never been blue; but then it's never been as vigorous as this year's, either. I'm wondering if it's actually a seedling that sprouted up. It would certainly be a huge coincidence that it germinated where another was already growing unless it was an even greater coincidence and is a cross that came from the clematis I did plant there. I guess I'll never know for sure. Maybe I have garden elves now planting stuff for me! This clematis Multi-Blue, though, will look spectacular climbing through the Darlow's Enigma rose I planted next to it last fall!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe the place you got the rose from had clematis growing with them & the tuber was in the soil?

Whatever the reason it got where it is, its a breathakingly beautiful flower!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

PM, your guess is as good as mine! Like you, ceedub, I agree on its beauty and am happy to have it there.

Pirl, do you mean single blooms in future years or repeat blooming this year?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Michele,
That is one beautiful clematis bloom! And a gorgeous picture. I have the Kodak DX7590 and I can't get clarity in close ups like that. Do you have an attachment for closeups?
Terrie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

No attachments, Terrie; but I have discovered that using the "flower" setting sometimes gives me an out-of-focus picture that the default setting does not. So I won't be quite as close-up as I'd like but I just zoom in until the red auto-focus dot starts to show and then back out again until it's just disappeared.
It's a pain, but as long as I have a subject that's inanimate, I have the time to fool with it!
Are there attachments that you know of? I haven't researched it since the camera's so new and I'm still just playing and learning.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I checked the Kodak site this afternoon and actually bought a lens adapter. It will fit both the 6490 and the 7590. With the adapter, you can attach a macro lens (Kodak doesn't have one for this camera but you don't have to use Kodak).

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Cool. Thanks, Terrie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.