Carrots in EB?

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Wondering about doing carrots in my EB. How would you do it? Since you sow carrot seed directly in the soil where would you make the holes in the cover of the earthbox?

Laura

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

laura - sorry for late reply. i bought two eb's this winter. i'm loking at the little instruction booklet i got with it. it says you can grow anything in them. just cut 3 inch x's through the top plastic and plant the seeds.

onthe bottom of the instruction booklet i have is a section on fertilizer and plant placement.

it has pictures of 24 vegetables and how to place the fertilizer but carrots are not one of the veggies.. in one diagram it shows you can plant 16 ears of corn so i can imagine you can put that many carrots in it also.
hope this helps.

Hi Herbie, thanks for the reply. I ended up emailing earthbox and this is what they say:

You are able to grow carrot sin the EarthBox. You would follow the same planting guide as onions. This would have the fertilizer strip going down the middle with up to 4 carrots on each side. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to email us again.

EarthBox Customer Service

They didn't say whether that was from seed or not. I guess I don't know how carrots grow. This probably sounds pretty silly but does each seed make one carrot or does it make a plant that can grow several carrots? I haven't ever grown any root like veggies.

Happy Planting!

Laura

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

oooooooh! 8 whole carrots Yum! ;-)

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

1 seed = 1 carrot. Yes you could probably grow most anything in an EB but some things (like carrots) are just not practicle. Carrots are best grown in wide rows where you can scatter the seed and then thin to 2-3 inches apart. Since carrots have a long tap root I don't think the EB is deep enough either. I use them for things like tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers etc.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I have a spot in my traditional garden where we can do carrots. We just haven't had much luck getting them to sprout in the past. Do they take a really long time?

Laura

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Why not grow some of the dwarf carrots ? Do this by fertilizing the center of the strip then seed both sides in a straight line and then place the cover over the top and slice a straight line over the seeds. Whoever told you that you can plant only eight carrots was wrong. You should get at least 30 or 40.

Cool Tplant! I have some thumbelina seed. That I might try that with.

Thanks!
Laura

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Laura -- Let me know how you make out with the growth every couple of weeks or so and do take pictures..

Ok, I planted my thumbelina carrots as Tplant suggested. I will start taking pictures as soon as they sprout! Fingers crossed XXX

Laura

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.