Puny Cross Vines! What gives?

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I cannot figure out what's going on w/my cross vines! I have six of them, in full sun. Am I not watering enough? Too much? Do they need fish emul. therapy? What gives?! I need these guys to flourish!!

=/ MKJ in TX

Thumbnail by mkjones
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's another one: (could they look any UNhappier & piqued??)

Thumbnail by mkjones
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

How long have they been planted? Mine didn't grow a lot the first year, but really did well the second year.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I was gonna say the same thing. First year, kind of puny. Second year, watch out. And mine seems happier with mulch on the roots to keep the roots cool.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, I feel MUCH better! Planted these about 6 weeks ago........I wondered, if like MOST perennials, they were imping along, but would get better after a full season in my ground. But then the paranoia set it--they look awful! I'm SO thrilled to hear that you've both experienced this, and that they're not trying to croak on me!!

Thanks! =)

MKJ

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I was wondering the same thing to if it needed to have its roots kept cooler like a clematis.
:) Donna

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

DEFINITELY mulching those roots.......embarrassed to admit that you can actually see the tops of root balls at present. Poor things are HOT! =0 Thanks so much for the advice & encouragement; my husband was beginning to give me the "what was she thinkin'" look!

=) MKJ

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I agree with the others. Mine was puny the first year, better the second year, and thriving the third year. My vine has other plants shading its base as well.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, my husband's going to have a fit! He just declared a few hours ago, "NO MORE plants in this bed, period!!" Guess he'll have to amend that a bit..........=)

Yippee for moi,
MKJ

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I agree, they like their roots shaded.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.