Big Beautiful Bloom.... Want Seeds??

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Isn't this one big beautiful bloom!!! I wintered-over this Datura Innoxia in the poly enclosed porch.

I was told on the Brug forum they were annuals therefore not held over like Brugs, but when it got down to 30 degrees I couldn't help myself, the poor newly sprouted leaves had to come into the house. For this I have been richly rewarded with blooms so early in the season.

Please note this Datura is growing in an 18 inch flower pot. It is being given MiracleGro every time it is watered.

Edited to say - no more available seeds.

Judy

This message was edited Jun 28, 2005 3:52 PM

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Another picture

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The last picture

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Oops this is the last picture

Thumbnail by judycooksey
Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh Judy, this most definetely did make me smile. She is gorgeous and I know you love her. I love Dat's as well as Brugs...beautiful my friend, just beautiful!

There ya go! Pooey on Annuals lol...you can do anything you want to do. I've taken annuals inside too for the winter and put them out in the spring just as you... Good for you, you go girl! I'll have to try bringing in Dat's next year :-) I'm really hoping and praying for a hoop house like everyone else has, it would be so nice. Right now I'm using my back porch but it serves it's purpose just fine for now :-)

Hugs
Julie

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

She is beautiful!
I wonder if you overwintered her yearly, if you could make her a tree?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I cut it off at soil level just to get rid of it for the winter, planning on leaving the pots outside. Then I notice it was putting out new leaves, so when it got down to 30 and she was still green, she had to be saved.

This coming winter I'll leave all the growth on them and see one of them will do. Since then I've been told by a DG member that this particular Datura is a perennial.

Judy

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I have overwintered many dats inside. Mostly I've overwintered the Black Currant Swirl, but also a dat wrightii, which is a lot like your inoxia. Your blooms are so pretty. My Datura Wrightii is in the ground and comes back every year. I think yours will too.....you might want to stick a seed in the ground and give it a try.

A favorite pic of mine....d. wrightii

Thumbnail by Brinda
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go, Judy! The bloom is huge!
:) Donna

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have one that is outside and every winter dies down and comes back up.

i have had others that dont come back up.

the one out side is white. when it blooms maybe someone can id it for me.

i have had a double purple one over winter and is doing great. i took this one inside though.

if protected have been told some are considered tender perinials.

now my yellows dont come back and have to start from seed every year.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

imzadi, This is the one for which I sent you seeds a month or so ago.

Judy

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

Looks absolutely georgous Judy.

Cindy

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a plant with a bloom just like this...opened last night, and there are several more buds coming along. Mine survived the winter, too....even snow in Texas! It was given to me as Angel's Trumpet. This may be a dumb question, but is the main difference between brugmansias and daturas the fact that datura flowers point up and Brugmansia flowers point down? I've had both kinds, but called them all Angels Trumpets.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

AWShucks - That is my understanding also. Daturas are smaller and more of a bush. Brugmansia are basically trees.

Can you post pictures of your Datura?

Judy

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

It should bloom in the next few days. I'll take a pic so you can see. It looks just like yours.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Great will be looking forward to your pictures.

Judy

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Judy, I heard that the innoxia species is possibly cold hardy to zone 6, I have 2 seedlings started and am going to let one winter over outside and see, the other I will just gather seeds from, very nice pictures!!!
Here is one of my Datura wrightii from last year.
~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Laurrie,

Pretty!! That picture looks like it should be framed!! That would be neat to get out favorite pictures of flowers enlarged and framed. If I decide to do that I'll be sending you an email asking for permission.

I've going to let one stay in the ground here also. The others I'll probably winter over in the poly encloded porches because I totally enjoyed having blooms so early this year.

Judy

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Judy, well you here now have my permission ;) That would be neat, I use them as postcards, greeting cards, etc. Never thought about a larger framed picture, hmmmmmmmmmmmm perhaps I will have to do a whole wall collage in my seed/computer room LOLOLOL
Here is another of my favorites also a wrightii.

I have so many seeds from Tonny in Denmark from the year either 1998 or 2000, can't remember, but they are OLD, they have germinated and are: d. discolor 51, d. wrightii 138, d. metel trip. yellow 185, these I am too excited about, I also have Black current swirl sprouts, and BRUGS LOL Lamour x Ecuador Pink seedlings, and Pinkmond x Butterfly seedlings, I can't wait to see them!!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Why don't you start a thread here on the Datura Forum of the seelings and update it when you plant out, their blooms, etc. It would be very interesting especially to people who haven't done it but would like to.

Judy

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

Judy, Here's the pic I promised. I missed a few blooms. You've got to be johnny-on-the-spot with a camera, because they don't last long! There were actually 3 blooms open along with this one. (the leaves in the foreground belong to another plant) My plant is in a pot, and it's getting hard to handle. I have to lean it up against something because it won't stand upright. The trunk forked at about 12 inches high, and it keeps growing, but horizontally! It can't support itself. I guess I'm forced to cut it back. Do you know how I can help encourage a more sturdy main stem?

Thumbnail by AwShucks
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Both of my older ones are doing a sub-bush routine, spreading out instead of up. I can't think of a proper term something between a vine and a bush. But the ones I've just planted seem to be growing upward. Perhaps it was because I cut off the tops of these last year. Maybe someone will come along and give us some information.

You picture is lovely. Don't you just love these plants!!!

Judy

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 8b)

I would like to know if you have any seeds still up for offer. And if you do how would I go about getting some. This is a beautiful plant I would love to have.

Thank You

Melody

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

MelodyML,

Please send me an email with your address and I will get some out to you the first part of the week.

Judy

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Judy,
Did I get some of these? Do you or anyone else for that matter have pictures of the seeds sprouting? I have some seeds sprouting and I believe they are Dats, but the markers are not in them any longer and I am not certain. They are not very big, but I still was HOPING they are these marvelous plants!
Thanks,
JanetS

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Yes you got some of these. lol lol

Can you post a picture of your seedlings and I'll tell you what I think? The look a lot like pepper plants when they have just two leaves, the next set of leaves are bigger than the first but shaped much the same on some varieties a little rounder.

I can send you some more seeds if you didn't think what you have sprouting are Datura.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

FYI I have an out of town emergency.... will be back when it is resolved.

Judy

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

JanetS, here is a seedling photo of my D. wrightii, similar to the innoxia, hope this helps. Mind you these are volunteers after my flood, so not the prettiest seedlings
~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Judy,

Do you still have seeds for the lovely datura? I would love to have some. Please lmk your address so I can send SASE.

Thank you very much,

Eliza

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.