Honoring MIL Josephine

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I planted this Clematis 'Josephine" to honor my gardener MIL who's no longer able to garden. These are the first blooms and I love them almost as much as I love her!

Thumbnail by mickgene

That is one beautiful Clematis. Before opening and seeing the enlarged photo I thought it was a passiflora. LOL Simply beautiful.....

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The plant itself deserves all the complements. Every pic I've seen of it is lovely. I NEED more of that same flower type now!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

THANK YOU for posting such a beautiful photo. I planted my Josephine about 8 or 9 years ago and out of my 75 clematis (planted, not all made it) Josephine never flowered and never got to more than a foot or so.

Dug her up in April. I was also digging up a weed - Aegopodium. I'd rip off the heads of every one of the weed and when I gathered up Josephine my hand acted before my brain and I ripped her head (just the green) off! OMG. I rushed downstairs and potted her up in Miracle Gro Potting Mix and yesterday I found out SHE'S ALIVE, SHE MADE IT, SHE'S GROWING! I could shout it from the roof tops! When she puts on more growth I know just where she'll go: my own survivor story. By the time she blooms maybe I'll have figured out the new digital camera and will post a photo.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh noooo! I hate it when that happens. I rarely have as positive a result as you did, though, pirl. Good luck getting hert to bloom the 2nd time around. Maybe she'll be so happy for a second chance that she'll do everything she can to please you! LOL

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a loving tribute to your MIL!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's gorgeous and definitely a tribute to your MIL. I keep saying I'm going to buy one to as a reminder of my Mom who's name was Josephine.
:) Donna

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

She's very sad to not have her own garden anymore (in assisted living) and unable to yet find a way to participate in some type of gardening that she is physically able to do. She bought me many lovely plants for my current garden on her one and only visit here after we moved. So I'm sure she can appreciate such a lovely flower even though it's not one of her beloved roses.

Absolutely stunning flowers Mickgene, and a fitting tribute to your MIL.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, ceedub. Happy, happy Spring! I feel like Snoopy, lately, ready to do that happy dance with the ears flying in the breeze, all the new growth is sooo beautiful.

Oh, boy, do I ever know how you feel. We had a real bad winter, and a late, cold spring. The nicer weather's finally inching its way to us, and the greenery is just breathtaking this year-probably because its taken so long to happen...a true joy.

Happy, happy spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.