Can't get impatiens to bloom need help

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I've been having trouble the last few years getting impatients past the bud stage into the bloom stage. They don't seem to want to develop into flowers. What could I be doing wrong? This year I planted an impatiens zombiensis (?) which came with two blooms, but no more buds! Help!!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Most impatiens want to be planted into warm soil - 55 or more. Without the warm start many just lag along until they can die in peace in November.

Cheyenne, WY(Zone 5a)

Make sure they are in dappled shade (or only morning sun), this works best under trees/shrubs, especially in our climate, they cannot take direct sun, the UV rays are too much. They need a lot of water, regular watering especially because of the dry air here on the front range. It is definately too early to plant right now, I would wait at least until June 1 here.

Thanks for the advice. It's right to plant now since it's 82 right now and will be 90 tomorrow! I don't have them in sun. Maybe this new kind will do better.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The SOIL temperature, not the air, is the most important one.

Since the soil is in containers, the soil is usually warm enough when the ambient air is warm enough.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Typically when impatiens do not open past bud stage they are either getting too much hot afternoon sun, or they are draught stressed.

If leaves turn black/white/yellow it is often overwatering.

If you plant outdoors now, give them a careful follow up because they need time to establish themselves.

Also, make sure your container planting mix does not contain high levels of fertilizer because that can prevent flowering. It is better to use planting mix without fertilizer and then add some 5-10-10 later.

Well, it isn't a sun problem, and it isn't container mix with fertilizer in it, so it must be drought stress. I'll just have to see what these do. Thanks for all your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.