Mega buds on Wisteris sinensis!

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

There are so many fat buds on this Wisteria that I lost count trying to tally them up. I like the way the blooms appear before any foliage so they don't block the view of the flowers. When the blooms start fading, the leaves start appearing and they are a russet/golden color. In a couple of weeks the older foliage will turn to it's normal green.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just LOVE wisteria. Lucky you!!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

gee I have 2 Wisteria's both supposed to be the same but one has rust color leaves, the other bright green, but neither of them have any buds yet.

N., CA(Zone 9a)

Oooohh....I am so jealous. You must treat your wisteria good. What direction does it face?

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

bluenikko, The vine is planted on the NorthEast corner of my house, near the foundation. I don't give it any special attention. It gets watered and fed when the perennials around it need it. It just happens to be an unusually good selection of Wisteria sinensis. I have several other Wisterias in my garden, but they don't come anywhere near the spectacular display that this young one puts out.
P.S. I do prune back all my Wisterias of rampant growth several times during the season and always a hard pruning to the last thick set of bud nodes after leaves drop in Fall.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow!! Can't wait to see the picture of it in full bloom. The wisteria I bought at Home Depot last year has survive our winter. I see little green leaves sprouting. I'm a happy camper!!
:) Donna

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

What color are the flowers? My Wisteria has buds on it and a couple of them are flowering. The flowers are white and smell like grapes.

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi, do you think that the pruning is what makes it bloom? Mine is 4 years old and I have never pruned mine and it has never bloomed. Do you think that pruning makes it grow more also? Thanks for any advice you have, Mikey

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

hugeposiepatch, This Wisteria has the usual lavender colored blooms of W. sinensis and it is particularly fragrant. I have a photo showing last year's bloom. I think it might be W. sinensis 'Jako Blue', but I'm not certain since it was the only vine without a label at the nursery. I also have a pink-flowering W. floribunda and a W. 'Formosa' which supposedly is a cross between the sinensis + floribunda. It's said to be extremely fragrant, but I've had it for 6 years without bloom yet.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

jerrynmikey, I think regular pruning aids in the amount of blooms on the vine. You'll still get blooms without pruning (......eventually) but not the amount that you could get with pruning. The energy it could spend on producing flowers would be used in rampant foliage growth. You've got a better chance of getting your first blooms earlier with the pruning back of excessive foliar growth. And aren't the flowers the reason why we grow Wisteria in the first place?

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful!
:) Donna

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

my god those are beautiful!!! pruning next year for sure!!!!!!!!!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

SabraKhan, your wisteria is magnificent!

Jerrynmikey, does your wisteria get full sun? Peter Valder, and author and authority on wisterias, says that the number one reason why some wisterias don't bloom is lack of full sun. Make sure you leave yourself some nodes when pruning, which is where the flowers come from. I've seen some people cut their wisteria to the ground then wonder why they didn't get blooms the next year. Wisteria flowers on old wood.

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

Well if it flowers on old wood, why would we prune it. I have three of them and also a wisteria tree. any advice?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I have two small plants of this wisteria that I'm wanting to trade for aquatic plants.

Mine bloomed the first spring after they were planted but according to everything that I have read that is unusual and it normally takes 5-6 years. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html Also this variety isn't as invasive as other wisteria which I have planted 5 feet away. The other has been planted for 6 years and has never bloomed, been pruned also but is extremely invasive. I've been told if the regular variety is grown from seeds it could take up to 15 yeras for them to bloom. Needless to say Chinese Wisteria sinensis is the only variety that I would plant if I had it to do all over.

Judy

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Jerry, by pruning the long shoots, you can force side shoots to grow out, and by pruning those side shoots, more side shoots will appear. If you allow two or three nodes to remain, flowers will come from those nodes. This will give you more flowers, spaced closer together, and keep the growth in check at the same time. Plant Amnesty used to have a good web site on pruning a wisteria, but I see that it is down now. I highly recommend Peter Valder's book on wisterias: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881923184/qid=1116206848/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-2909758-6439220?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

WoW!!! Just beautiful.

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

I went to the Ohio site and it is very good about explaining what to do. I will have my hands full this winter. I think I will leave it this summer and do it when dormant. Plus I will beable to see it better. I will take care of suckers though right away. Thanks all of you for your advice. Hopefully in 2 years I can send pictures! Mikey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.