Radish in containers

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok this is my first year trying to grow anything and since I have terrible soil I am growing everything in contianers. So far most everything has taken but the radishes where a terrible terrible failure. 99.6 percent of them never matured we had 4 tough radishes. So has anyone ever grown radishes in a container? Any tips, hints or info to pass along?

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the veggie thread so I'm doing both.

Saint

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I grew mine in a window box type container and they did very well. My first year for them. I used Miracle Gro potting soil and added some compost to the top layer when I had top growth. Watered with very diluted worm tea every two weeks after the tops began to get bushy. Sorry I'm not much help but I did want you to know it is possible. Could the type of soil have anything to do with it?

Barb

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Basset but I found out that mine didn't grow well because I either couldn't read or DIDN"T read. *G* To hot to grow them here this time of year so I'm waiting till fall. Then watch out I'll have radishes by the barrel! *G*

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Ah! Well, hot ain't been a problem here. Too much cool and damp early on and not enough damp lately. Perfect for early season crops and little else! Good luck!

Barb

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I read in the _Veg Gardener's Bible_ to mix the carrot seed with radish seed and the radishes will be ready sooner and loosen the soil for the carrots, less thinning more veggies. I did this with my container planting of 'Adelaide' and 'Little fingers' - we shall see!

-Kim

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Hmmm... but then I can't do the "boiling water" trick for the carrots. That never fails for me.

Barb

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Ok, I give in. What is the boiling water trick?

-Kim

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I wondered that but I already look dense sometimes cause I know zilch, was afraid to ask.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Never watch?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Great - now what am I supposed to be watching?!? Oh, "a watched pot never boils"

Now about those carrots?

-Kim

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

When you sow your carrot seeds, pour boiling water over them. They germinate beautifully! As far as I know, it does not work on any other seeds.

Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.