Hops Germination Question

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I just received some Hops seeds from Ebay. The seller gave instructions that when planted, they first had to be kept warm (70 degrees) for 4 weeks. Then to put them in the fridge for 6 weeks. Heck... that'll take me to the end of July!!!
If I had known about this, I would have purchased them in March.

Is this all necessary? Has anyone here grown them from seed who didn't go through all that?

Nancy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I grew them from seed in the GH but didn't follow any of what you said and admittedly I had very poor germination. So maybe I would be inclined to do as suggested. It's certainly worth the try. Good Luck.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I bought two packages and set them outside when it was still quite cold, but not freezing anymore.

The germination seems quite erratic and sparse. I had a couple germinate on a warm day after being sown for a month, and another germinate a couple of days ago when it got 90*.

I assume more will sprout, but in all reality, three should do me! They are supposed to get huge!

But, I still would have liked more to sprout so I could share them.

People who grow them complain they germinate too easily, and that they have tons of sprouts all over the ground...
maybe it is one of those that has to be sown immediately when ripe, or they get really fussy about germinating...

GOOD LUCK with yours! They do take a while and require unusual patience! lol...
-T

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your replies.
((sigh))

Maybe I should have just purchased the plants themselves.

Oh, well.
You live,
You learn.

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.