Wine country has its' advantages.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

We've decided to grow grapes....(how unique.) here in wine country on our posts. The one on the right is Pinot Grigio and the one on the left is Pinot Noir...It's a rather pedestrian thought but they sure are looking good and they are loaded with fruit...Toasting can't be too far away..lol.

Thumbnail by drdon
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I know nothing about grapes, but I do know that your patio is absolutely WONDERFUL! So inviting. I'd love to pull up a chair and just sit and look around.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya JoanJ,

Come southwest and join Pam and I for an Iced Tea or the adult beverage of your choice...lol. Nice to meet you.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Nice to meet you too. I'd love to come see you. I just gotta win the lottery first. LOL

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Lol,
Many of us feel that way. Especially when I'm on a mail order plant website.;-))

Be well,
Don

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

drdon,
Love your overhead (mind is failing me about name of it) and the fence. Both are plain and simple, but elegant. Thinking of an arbor, similar in style to flank my front sidewalk of my 1-1/2 story cape cod for climbing roses. Nice place you have. I've got 2 seedless grapes (had 3 till then 6 y/o helped me plant). Still need to get them an arbor too. ~ Suzi :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Hiya BriarRose74,

Nice to meet you!

Thanks for the compliments about our property. I kind of hang out over in the Garden Art forum. You should check out some of the superb, creative, and functional work being done over there. I know about helpers...lol. Our Jack Russel thinks he's a backhoe.

Blooms to you,
Don

Thumbnail by drdon
Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Someone sure went the extra mile on that fence! Looks sharp! ~ Suzi :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Lol,

Yes I'm prone to guilding the lily so to speak....lol.

A better view of this particular garden space.

Be well,
Don

Thumbnail by drdon
N., CA(Zone 9a)

drdon, your backyard is very similar to what I am working to achieve in mine. Did you build the pergola? We are planning to build one this summer and would appreciate any tips...
The fence is beautiful. Good luck with your grapes!
~Rachael

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Hi Don,
Long time, no see. How do you tear yourself away from this patio to work with that creosote? LOL
What is growing around the "pavers?" to the left of the post in the foreground? Looks like Scotch moss but that doesn't grow in your climate, does it? Everything looks lovely, as usual.
Michele

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Hiya Mickgene!

Great to see you.

The ground cover is red flowering elfin thyme. It has been slower to develop than its' neighbor the dichondra, but it has finally caught hold. It doesn't really have red flowers (false advertising...lol), but was sold as red flowering. The flowers are a kind of reddish pink.

Hope you've been well and are enjoying your spring.

Don

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm so glad it's something I recently bought. That frees up funds for yet something else!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Don - love the pergola, especially the size. Can't tolerate skimpy structures. We're on the North Fork of Long Island: wine country. At least 20 new wineries have arrived since we did 14 years ago when we retired here.

Got a laugh out of your Jack Russell who thinks he's a backhoe: we have a Lhasa who thinks he's a pit bull. He's ready to take on any dog, anytime.

As Michele asked: is that some kind of moss around the pavers? I just moved a ton of it and put it where it saves me work because there's hardly a weed that grows through it. Used a few nice pieces to cover the base of some clematis and I'm anxious to see how well it works out.

Grass Lake, MI(Zone 5a)

I love it ... what an great looking place to sit and relax!! Neat fence!!!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya pirl,

nice to meet you. We are also fans of larger structures in our gardens that allow for shade and other activities.

The ground cover is a type of elfin thyme.

a toast to wine country, wherever it may be.
Don

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya bluenikko,

Yes I built the pergola. It is constructed of resawn lumber without any nails. We didn't like the way most shade structures were constructed around here by stacking lumber one direction and then another so I cut half-lap joints in all of the 2x6s (4 each) and then glued the lumber together instead of nailing. The result is no creaking and we're anxiously awaiting the grapes and wisteria going over the top for additional shade.

nice to meet you,
Don

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Waterloolily,

nice to meet you. Thank you for your kind words. The fence was a built in a fit of wacky creativity...lol.

best,
Don

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Don, your construction acumen is something my DH greatly admires. If he had his way, he'd never use a nail or screws. Planning a post-and-beam shed for all the lawn equipment as we speak!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya mickgene,

Post and Beam! I love that construction method. I'm sure the shed will be marvelous. I took up woodworking when I retired and although I'm not so good at it I can appreciate good craftsmanship, and admire it in others. Post and Beam is really a super method. I can't wait to see your pics. And please let your husband know I'm an admirer of the skill required for such an undertaking.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

drdon,
"cut half-lap joints in all of the 2x6s (4 each) and then glued the lumber together instead of nailing." Is this where cut off top half of the wood on the bottom board and the bottom half of the wood on the top board so fit together? I lost the saw table in the divorce, so not sure how I would accomplish that part... But, it looks so fantastic. You are right. I don't think I necessarily want to have wood stacked one on another, not when yours looks so fantastic. ~ Suzi :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya BriarRose74,

The half-laps were cut on a table saw but can easily be cut with a jigsaw. Here's a closer view of how they fit.

Pay no attention to the glue squeeze-out left unattended to...lol.

Thumbnail by drdon
Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

drdon,
Thanks! You have inspired me with some great ideas!

I want to build an arbor in front over my sidewalk for the climbing roses this year. Already got the wood. After looking in lots of lib bks, finally saw style I really like, yours! But, can I do it?! Only inquiring minds want to know...

I'm particular, because in the future, planning to create a similar area on left side of house and also over the back deck (that isn't built yet).

Want to tie it all together, but as a single mom, cannot do everything instantly, unless of course I win the lottery or get a terrific paying job. Maybe after I get my masters... Have to map out a plan and work do it little by little. Thanks for the ideas! ~ Suzi :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a pic of the elfin thyme we were speaking of.

Thumbnail by drdon
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Love that cute stuff! I'm going to get mine (and a few other varieties) into the spaces between the new pavers today, I hope.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've been brain storming about how you accomplished your squiggles in the fence. Did you cut the squiggly wood, then trace it onto the wood it fits into, then cut and fit like a puzzle? I'm a little puzzled, LOL...but this is one of the most creative things I have seen in a garden, and it looks fantastic! I love your pergola. Did you make those chairs with the lattice work at the bottom too?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya hgurule,

The fence was absolutely traced and then fit. There is two entire threads devoted to this fence in the Garden Art forum. Thank you for the kind words regarding the pergola and our fence. The equipale' chairs were purchased in Mexico and brought north.

Nice to meet you,
Don

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

drdon,
Would you happen to have the links for the fence that you could post? But, ultimately I want to know if there is a thread on the pergola as well?? If so, where... ~ Suzi :)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Not only is your property lovely, but I'm so impressed that you built all those structures by hand! I'm VERY impressed!! Great work!

Our oldest son lives in Northern CA, just loves to visit the vineyards and especially enjoys travelling past the fields of grapes on the Wine Train. He's becoming quite a wine connoisseur!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Shirley1md,

Northern CA. is a real wine region for lovers of the vine and it's fermented rewards. Thank you for your kind words. Pam told me when I retired that I better find a hobby quickly or I could go live with the horses....lol. It always seemed like handmade with all of the stories and nightmares that go along with it are more satisfying.

A toast to Bacchus!

Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.