A plethora of Penstemmons

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

We love these flowers. Here's 'Midnight Blue' in it's first flush of the year.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

And 'Firebird'

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

And 'Apple Blossom'

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

A wider view of thier home.

Thumbnail by drdon
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I guess, I am following you around today, Don, penstemons are wonderful. No bloom here yet but they are certainly one of my favorite perenniels.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

lol Lenjo,

I may be following you..

The penstemmons here are earlier for us than they were at the coast. With the Salvia gesneraefloras holding up the back of them they seem to lay down less than usual. With the morning shade they get under the Live Oak they don't stress out too much in our heat as well. A favorite of ours as well.

be well,
Don

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Don, how about all those various salvias? They are another great specimen plant. There are so many different varieties I would like to try like the Coral ones but alas not hardy here which doesn't necessarily keep me from growing it. I was wondering if you have ever seen the High Country Gardens catalog or website by the same name. They are in New Mexico I believe. They have wonderful plants for hot climates and xeriscaping. Good Luck. Joann

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Lenjo,

We have a pretty decent collection of Salvia. The ones behind the Penstemmons are S. gesneraeflora and it's mate S. gesneraeflora 'Tequila', S. Purple Majesty, S. mexicana 'Limelight', S. Indigo Spires, S. madrensis and S. chiapensis. In adjacent planters in this garden are S. sinaloensis, S. patens, S. guaranitica 'Costa Rica Blue' and S. guaranitica Argentine Skies, as well as S. coahilensis and S. blepharophylla 'Diablo'. The proper Salvia garden where the bulk of our collection resides is in another area. We really like these plants and High Country Gardens has supplied us with some of our hardier Salvias. We like them very much.

Best,
Don

BTW, I'm still marvelling at your dahlia collection. Will hang on for photos.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I remember a full article in Fine Gardening several years ago, devoted to a woman who raised thousands of penstemmons. Great photos of her gardens!

I finally have 2, still in pots for 2 years now. Hopefully I'll have a home soon and they can grow in the ground.

Lovely photos, Don.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks darius,

good to see you,

We like these rascals and the one in the front yard we got two years ago called 'Burgundy Bay' is also blooming. It's yet to be moved in order to make more space for Pam's burgeoning rose collection...lol.

Best,
Don

Thumbnail by drdon
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous, I just em, that is great color and how nice and straight they stand.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Lenjo,

I'm rooting some cuttings of this one since it is a rather recent introduction by a nursery here in CA called Native Sons. I'd like to add a few into the new rose garden around the whites and light pinks to give some contrast and show off Pam's roses a bit more. Let me know if you want one in a few weeks. Very cold hardy and it actually didn't show any ill effects when our temps got down to the mid teens last winter. Just amazing hardiness.

Best,
Don

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I have zone envy ........ wonderful displays of color ....

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad to see this thread! I just received some penstemmon starts at the Texoma Roundup on Sunday. I wasn't expecting them! I looked them up in Plantfiles and it says they are ok for part-sun. I was worried b/c I have a pretty shady yard and I got some things that appear to be for full-sun. This was one that actually said part-shade! But from your beautiful pictures they do appear to be pretty tall. Can you tell me how tall yours get? Is that correct that they do well in part-shade? I have a long border bed that gets morning sun until almost noon and then it is dappled sun for a while, then finally goes to shade in late afternoon. Do they bloom all season like the salvia or do they have a set bloom time and then stop? Do they reseed? Need staking? Sorry- I have heard the name but have never grown them. Any info would be appreciated!

Jamie

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Me ever turn a plant down, I don't think so, Don, sure it would be 'loverly'. I have a deep purple penstemon; not blooming yet. If it does I will root it to in exchange. I have penstemons are very easy rooters.

Jamie, I have never heard of them reseeding but they are pretty hardy from what I understand and root easily too.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Lenjo,

Just lay a stem down, nick it, and cover it with a bit of mulch. It will root quickly.

You've got a deal.

Be well,
Don

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Trouble is I have a others in the same area and don't know who is who. Will soon I hope.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like a problem of riches...lol. I also love to plant so that there is a melding of colors, textures, and shapes. It sounds like a fabulous garden Lenjo.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, drdon, I am blessed with lots of room but not necessarily a lot of weeding ambition. My hubby think I am bit nuts for having what I do. But he is my chief fan too.I am out here on the farm and part of my garden has spilled into the orchard. I just really enjoying seeing in the flesh so to speak all the various flowers/plants. We had had a small dahlia business but we just weren't especially keen on the marketing angle so the Len of Lenjo decided we didn't have enough oomph to keep it going. Tried to entice a married daughter and son in law to take the business but they just weren't at the particular stage of ready. So Jo of Lenjo agreed to let the dahlia business go if she could keep at least a tuber or two of each variety. I am anxious to plant but we are still getting lots of rain here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.