Radish question...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Can anyone tell me why my radishes are growing sideways and above the ground???

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They usually grow about half above ground. Sideways, sometime the long types will lean over, but sideways?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They look like they are tipped over, and the radish ALL above ground - or not at all!

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You haven't been blasting them with a hose, have you?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Nope - it's not hooked up yet for the season. I use a small watering can (gentle flow)and a mister.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine do that if they don't have enough sun light [too much shade]--- Michael

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Will they develop radishes or are they gonzo???

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Sequee I'm going to post here also if I can. I pretty much had the same problem and well...they went gonzo on me. Which was terrible because the DH LOVES radishes.

Ok this is my first year trying to grow anything and since I have terrible soil I am growing everything in contianers. So far most everything has taken but the radishes where a terrible terrible failure. 99.6 percent of them never matured we had 4 tough radishes. So has anyone ever grown radishes in a container? Any tips, hints or info to pass along? Is it to late to start again?

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the veggie thread so I'm doing both.

Saint

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Glad you posted here - appreciate the support!

I have never had good radishes at home, but at work we grew them in (very) raised beds and they did wonderfully! I am sooooo disappointed - I need to know what I could have done wrong. And I don't think it's a sun issue - my guys are in hugely sunny areas!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm with you on this one. Mine got plenty of sun but they just grew and grew (very leggy) and never produced a good sized bulb. I swear I thought DH was going to cry tonight as we pulled them and threw them away. I'd like to learn what I did wrong so I can try again while I still have time (that is if it would take 21 days like it's pose to). Please let me know if you find any info. My MIL said she thought I needed ash in the soil but I don't know and would like to have another persons suggestions.

Saint

And again, sorry for jumpin on your radish wagon *G*

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

And some times when not enough available nitrogen, [when my not composted enough manure and sawdust was used] but -I never decided why some kinds did that and others planted near them were just fine, -- good luck, --Michael

(Zone 2b)

Radishes need cool weather. If it is really hot out, they don't produce a fleshy root. There likely are some cultivars that are more sensitive to temperature than others.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I've grown 4 different types of radishes this year, all doing very well in not so cool S. Fla. There's pics of them thru out the "Peas are Up" thread in this forum. When I planted mine I dug a 6"- 8" deep furrow for the 20' row and backfilled it with Miracl-Gro Garden Soil. In fact, I did this back filling with all of my veggie seedings/plantings this year and the results have been very good. Here's a pic from 4 weeks ago; the radish row is the one in front. - Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

ahh then I'd think it's the heat that did it then. I wonder if I could start again in Sep or Oct and see if they will grow. Poor DH, maybe I can buy some at Krogers and stick them in the ground and he'll feel better *LOL*

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Heat is not the issue here, either. We're still pretty cool in these parts. And all of my soil is Miracle Grow or Shultz, with a little sand mixed in - exactly what we use in the gardens at work. I do have a few growing "normally" and will check which varieties they are for future reference. However, I buy all the seeds and we use them at home and at work... There just has to be something I'm missing.

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

And one more...

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

All is not lost:

Radish Greens Soup
Do not throw away those wonderful radish greens; they are an excellent source of iron and taste just as good as expensive watercress.
Makes 6 Servings

1 tablespoon unsalted butter or unsaturated oil of your choice
3 cups chopped radish greens from 3 bunches of radishes
4 cups water or Secondary Stock (page 220 of the book)
2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/3-inch salpicon
12 red radishes, sliced l/8 inch thick
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Salt
Pepper from the mill
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup sour cream of your choice
Bread of your choice (optional)
Grated Gruyere-type cheese or crumbled ripe goat cheese (optional)

Heat the butter or oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Toss the radish greens for 1 minute in the hot butter. Cover with the water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and simmer until the soup tastes good, 20 to 30 minutes. Strain through a food mill.

Meanwhile, place the radish slices and vinegar in a small pot, add water to cover, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, simmer 3 to 4 minutes, and drain. Add the slices of radishes to the strained soup. In a small bowl, mix the mustard with the chosen sour cream. Mix two ladlesful of the soup into this mixture, then whisk that mixture back into the bulk of the soup. Correct the final seasoning and serve immediately, with bread on the side and cheese passed in a bowl.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*looks in the trash* Ahh I am so not going dumster diving for radish greens *G*

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

LOL LOL! I haven't pulled mine yet as I am the eternal optimist and am still hoping some of them will produce!

This sounds even easier and definitely healthy!!!

PICKLED RADISH GREENS

Use greens fresh from the garden or from a top-grade
produce store, saving radishes or another use.

Wash greens, discarding any bits that don't look
fresh. Chop coarsely. Combine in a bowl with the salt,
sugar and water. Allow to sit 30 minutes to several
hours in the refrigerator.

Just before serving, drain and squeeze dry in a
kitchen towel.

Place in small serving bowl and add soy sauce to taste.

PER SERVING: 5 calories, 0 g protein, 1 g
carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 198 mg
sodium, 0 g fiber.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

mine didn't stand a chance, I looked on the package today and saw we should have planted from nov-feb. LOL I promise I really not as stupid as this forum makes me look. I'm blaming the "Great Radish Blight of 05" on the DH.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Poor thaing!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*G* He's use to it..

Victorville, CA

Question? Is it nitrogen that promotes leave growth instead of root growth? It looks like the leaves are beautifully green and develped but not enough root development. Could it be something as simple as that? I'm doing red and white radishes and mine are just starting to sprout.
-Juli

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

I am also doing white and red radishes (Tokinashi Daikon). So far, so good. I read on the package of the Daikons that they need to be thinned.

Another factor in root develop is planting the roots crops in the 3rd phase of the moon, which is right after the full moon. But that is another story I suppose...

Sequee, you are such an opportunist (mean that nicely), to find a use for your radish greens. Thanks for sharing that info.

Araness, since you are such a Saint, why don't I mail you some of my radishes when I pick them?

Tamara

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*G* Thanks Tamara but you keep those radishes for the kids. The DH can wait till October for them, until then I can just buy some from Krogers. It's really my own fault for not reading the back of the package, heck didn't even have to read it was a little map! *LOL*

Saint

BTW How's Mom doing?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have 'Easter Egg' radishes (a mix) growing in a windowbox with Miracle Gro potting soil plus some polymer moisture crystals. They seem to be coming along well in full sun, sounds like the same conditions you have, Janice, so maybe it's just the variety you planted? I loved your ideas for using the radish greens.... I've tried turnips a couple of times & never had much luck with root developement, so now I just grow them for their greens!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Some of mine are doing well and are quite tasty. There is a lovely purple one that is so mild it's almost sweet! Also, some of the Cherry Belles are doing great, while others are growing sideways on the soil, with litle or no root, but all have wondeful, lush greens. Odd!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

soil pH?

Mom is *teeny* bit better every day. Not feeling like reading, dozes in and out for lack of good comfortable sleep I asked one of my sisters to find the other 3 in the series for her, but she doesn't have a good memory....

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well I don't either so I can't say anything...I use to think I was keeping up but I don't even try to fool myself anymore..I'm senile.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Well, that sister is only 41, so she will need another excuse LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*G* I'm 38... :P~

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Then you'd better stop calling yourself senile, it might happen! LOL I'm younger than you nannynannybooboo!!!@@@#$%^&*! Just a little... :-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol..thanks! I blame mine on the medication (hey, that's my story and I'm stickin to it!)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OkeyDokey! Just be sure you have your story written down somewhere, least you forget :-)

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I sent myself an email!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

well I have my little radishes coming up now...the package said to thin them when they are about 1 to 2"...so far they are about 3/4" tall. But they said nothing on the package about when to plant them...just after the last frost when the ground has been "worked". whatever that means. I have a bad feeling that I will be having the same results as Saint. boohiss. Of course, I don't like 'em, but DH does. I'll let y'all know how mine end up. Michelle

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Hold on I got some info about radishes this morning let me see..Says feb1-april 15 and Sept1-Oct 15. Also says to plant the following kind
Cherry Belle
Early Scarlet Globe
Red Prince
Champion (winter) Black Spanish
White Chinese

They have just about everything listed...pretty cool

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Have you heard of the summer radish called Tokinashi Daikon? Great in stir fries too! It looks similar to a white icicle, only MUCH bigger. I am also planting White Icicle and Cherry Belle, want ot get Black Spanish next year.

I had understood rashishes to be cold hardy, but I could be mistaken...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I know that the Cherry Belle and the Black Spanish are on the list for what will grow well here. Not sure about the cold..but I would think it would do ok in chilly but not COLD burr weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.