Stir Fried Luffa (luffa cylindrica} (Chinese Okra)

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Two days and no posts. I warned you I would convince Terry to convert this forum to edible gourds, if you-all don't step up to the plate.

Stir-Fried Luffa with Diced Shrimp and Garlic
Serves 4

Like many Asian recipes, the meat — in this case, shrimp — is the flavoring, and the vegetable is the focal point. Luffa is seasoned simply to show off its supple texture and slightly' sweet flavor. When Kasma Loha-unchit, who gave me this recipe, cooks it, she cuts the luffa into chunks bigger than you'd expect would cook in time, but they cook quickly so the size works perfectly.

2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
10 shrimp, peeled, deveined, and finely chopped
4 luffa gourds, about 1-1/2 pounds total,
peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks on the diagonal
1 tablespoon fish sauce, or to taste
White pepper to taste

In a wok or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 15 seconds until fragrant. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the shrimp begin to turn opaque. Add the luffa and stir-fry for a minute or so until the luffa begin to cook and turn just a little translucent. Add the fish sauce and pepper, stir well, and serve at once.

From
Asian Vegetables
By Sara Deseran

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Does it taste chewy or crunchy like lotus? Or soft like shitake?

~* Robin

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is called Chinese or vine okra for a reason, It has much the texture of okra, and being a sponge soaks up flavors. It does not have much taste in itself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.