What kind of lettuce?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I sowed some Pintree Spring mix and lots of these came up. My friend said that it was a weed. I said no way since they are mixed in with all the lettuces right where I put them. I also ate some and survived:) Any guesses or should I post to Identification?

Thanks -Kim

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think the tall ones are weeds. I have them growing in my garden too.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That, Kim, is the infamous lambsquarter. It is a pesky weed in my book but lots of folks eat it. Read the thread lambsquarter vs spinach.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

oh geez, I guess I should thin (weed) There are SO many - where do the seeds come from? These containers are brand new this year with potting mix. BAH!

Thank you! -Kim

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you bought a european mesclun mix, it is possible the seeds were included. The plant is a vigorous seeder, but you would probably have noticed any dried seed heads in your yard,

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I LIKE lambsquarter! I didn't have any here at first but birds or wind must have brought in a few seeds because there is now a small plot in an out-of-the-way corner. Very small new leaves can be used in salads and the others, including stems, are delicious in cooked greens combos. The plants produce lots of seeds which small birds love and they will devour most of them.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, I tasted it again but it doesn't do anything for me. I pulled them all out. Of course I wouldn't like anything so easy to grow:) Maybe I could make a chickweed / lambsquarters salad...NOT

-Kim

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Kim,
Throw a little purslane into that salad too. You know, that stuff that grows in the driveway, sidewalk and everywhere. Oh, and don't forget the dandelions. Ugg.. A weed salad. Nope, I agree with you. Even though they are all edible, I'm not going to eat them.

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Hi Joan,

I planted out my Anna Russians last weekend! Even gave a couple away. Thanks again for the seeds.

-Kim

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You're welcome. I hope they do well for you.

(Zone 2b)

Quoting:
Ugg.. A weed salad.

They always used to try to feed us something that looked suspiciously like weeds for salad back in the university dorm. We even found what appeared to be grass clippings in it sometimes...

If I want to eat weeds, I'll go graze in the pasture with the cows.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Farmerdill is correct. The plants are lamb's quarter. I have been vigorously pulling them, just can't make myself eat them. Maybe if really hard times came, I would. In the meantime, I am enjoying lots of fresh lettuce salads and stealing outside cabbage leaves for slaw.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.